Our first-ever stage event is going great today, bringing this site into the material plane for the very first time. All day Sunday, we've got all sorts of fascinating presentations, astounding performances, and living curiosities on show at a former Masonic Lodge in San Francisco.
Since not everyone could be there, here are just a few of the cool things so far today — for more, check out #bbingenuity at Twitter and our Facebook page. And of course, we will posting plenty of photos and videos on this site in the next week or two.
1. The incredible century-old inferno backdrop behind the stage at the former masonic lodge hosting the event. [Photos: BB, k0re]
2. Barn Owl, performers of electro drone music. [Sound test]
3. Spacehack founder Ariel Waldman, who orchestrated our Ingenuity: Data Driven hack day, was our guide on engaging in space research, no matter who you are.
4. Mark Frauenfelder, clad in stange pants, who explained how to properly sharpen the legendary Blackwing pencils given to every attendee.
5. Shovelman, who played the blues on a giant ... shovel. [Vine. Instagram Video.]
6. The mysterious keyboardist who performed science fiction themes on this massive old pipe organ [Instagram video by bhoeber]
7. Eri Genrty, who explained biohacking and biocuriouslab [Photo: ethicurean]
8. Magic experience designer Ferdinando Buscema, who figured out BB editor David Pescovitz's password live in front of hundreds of people. Reset time!
9. The swag, including Hugh Howey's Wool novels on a metal USB card that doubles as your fallout shelter pass. [Photo:
10. Todd Berman, who live-sketched Ferdinando and others!
Boing Boing Ingenuity in partnership with Ford C-Max.
Last night’s sold-out Walkaway tour event with Laurie Penny at Waterstones Tottenham Court Road was spectacular (and not just because they had some really good whisky behind the bar), and the action continues today with a conversation with Olivia Sudjic tonight at Pages of Hackney, where we’ll be discussing her novel Sympathy as well as […]
The following is an excerpt from my new book, The PrEP Diaries: A Safe(r) Sex Memoir, now available from Lethe Press. The book chronicles the before-and-after of using Truvada PrEP, a recent breakthrough in HIV prevention that has prompted a new sexual revolution–except that most individuals have no idea it exists. Through sex positivity, explicit openness, and fun, I hope to make many more people aware that PrEP is an option for them in not just preventing HIV but having a better, braver sex life.
For years, Anita Sarkeesian and her crew at Feminist Frequency (previously) have been striking terror into the hearts of reactionary assholes by saying calm, smart, funny, sensible and insightful things about how video games reveal our social attitudes.
The Ticwatch 2 Active Smartwatch is a simpler take on an active wearable that raised over $2m dollars on Kickstarter and is currently offered in the Boing Boing Store.Somewhere in between the single-day battery life and platform-specificity of the Apple Watch and Android Wear devices, there exists the Ticwatch. Instead of trying to shoehorn another […]
Loot Crate is a subscription service that delivers a box of curated pop culture goods to your doorstep. To sample their geeky wares, you can order a single mystery box exclusively from the Boing Boing Store.Each month Loot Crate sends you 6-7 unique items and apparel, including collectibles, books, and t-shirts. Pulling inspiration from all […]
Yes, yes there is. The ultraportable Twisty Glass Mini boasts all of the simplicity of its forebear, while fitting just a little bit better in your pocket.The Mini is perfect for casual smokers, and anyone who doesn’t have the patience or fine motor skill for rolling papers. This piece keeps the convenient design of its older […]