Poison oak and poison ivy skin barrier: Invisible Glove

14 Responses to “Poison oak and poison ivy skin barrier: Invisible Glove”

1. PhasmaFelis says:

We seem to have reverted to Disqus for this article!

• Kevin Pierce says:

Discus, with threaded replies and comments that appear on the same page of the article?    Yayyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Peter says:

I believe the rules are, advertising-related ones get Discussed.  They don’t want to sully their BBS with crass commercialism… just their main site.

2. pjcamp says:

What happens if you don’t know you need the glove until after you’ve found the ivy?

Cuz that’s the way it pretty much works for me.

3. ryuthrowsstuff says:

@pjcamp The idea is to put it on whenever you leave the house, or might reasonably risk exposure.  Like with sun block.

Some Air National Guard Pararescue Jumpers recommended Right Guard spray deodorant for this same purpose. It sounded so preposterous that I never risked testing it out, and I’ve been suspicious of the various urushiol blocks ever since. There’s a lot of BS and unfortunately ineffective stuff floating with regards to poison ivy/oak/sumac. Knowing this stuff isn’t re-branded deodorant is very reassuring.

4. allexx00 says:

Oral ivy at pharmacy. You drink it. I use it mainly for hiking in woods and yard work. If your exposed you increase dose. Its been fantastic. Dries it up in a day. I also use fels naptha soap because it cuts the ivy oil.

5. PrettyBoyTim says:

What does it feel like when you put it on? I get eczema on my mousing hand that cleared up when I was off work for two weeks – I wonder if that stuff might protect me from whatever it is that my hand’s reacting to at work?

6. Petzl says:

DISQUS, we missed you.  You don’t know what type of barbarism they’re forcing us to go through.   Hope to see you again soon.

7. Martin Harley says:

so very nice to be able to click into an artical and see all the comments below it

8. Mister44 says:

If you do get poison ivy, ZANFEL I found to be the best thing on the market. I got it really bad one year. Not only did the other stuff I tried not work, it seemed to be spreading the oil further. Zanfel was the only thing that would relieve the itching. It’s expensive, but man does it work.

9. ChickieD says:

Tecnu is the bomb.

10. argalite says:

Over 30 years ago, there was something called immunoak, and it had extract of poison oak.  You drink it once, 24hrs later, and a week later,then once a month and you could rub poison oak all over you and you would not get it.    Someone must have been super reactive and they took it off the shelves.  Best product ever.

11. Chris D. says:

Any input on how this feels on the hands? I usually have a camera with me and don’t want to gunk it up. I currently use Ivy block, then wipe down with the toweletts after my hike and try to get in to the shower ASAP and haven’t gotten it the last few times… and I was definitely deep in the poison oak.

12. simonbarsinister says:

I just wear long sleeves.