Kickstarting a life-sized, cardboard fighter-jet cockpit

It's pretty amazing looking, 1.6m x 1.86m, 0.95m, and accommodates a standard office chair, and works with VR headsets, projectors, or your imagination. Designed for easy breakdown and reassembly, and comes as a PDF (£50) or hardcopy (£300), with lots of customization options, and a kid-sized mini.

The money raised is meant to be rolled back into more cardboard control-cabins: "other types of planes, spaceships, cars, Formula-1, trains, etc." As with all crowdfunded projects, caveat emptor -- you may get nothing for your money.

Affordable: compared to other simulator cockpits on the market, Dogfight Boss gives you much more for your money.

Durable: the cockpit's ribbed construction means it'll hold up as you install your joystick, pedals, throttle, LCD display etc...

Lightweight/Easy to Texture: made from cardboard, it's easy to move and any printing company can put high-res textures on it. Other, more expensive cockpits can't say the same.

Customizable: cardboard can be cut in minutes to accommodate gauges, Ipad, lead wires—whatever you want!

Setup Agnostic: works with any displaying solution: projector, multiple displays, Oculus Rift.

Perfect for VR: virtual reality isn't about tons of pricey actual switches; it's about ergonomics. In our cockpit, everything can be put exactly where you need it.

Classic proportion: standard office chair fit means easy cockpit entry and quick take-off.

Quick break-down: cockpit can be easily assembled and disassembled. Everything but the central console is constructed without glue and can be flattened for easy storage.

Jet Fighter cockpit in your living room

Notable Replies

  1. Too bad the desktop pc/flight sim market is crashing. Someone needs to kickstart a robust flight sim that can run on a tablet.

  2. peterk says:

    As I understand, armored vehicle simulation sales have similarly tanked.

  3. Glitch says:

    Do you honestly believe these are going to be "mass produced"?

    This is not a mass consumer product - it is a niche prop for enthusiasts. There is no demand for actual mass produciton. No, this guy is going to spend 5% of the funds he raises on filling a few dozen or hundred orders for other enthusiasts, and the remaining 95% goes straight into his pocket.

    Kickstarter - where people give you money, and you have zero obligation to do anything in return. Just like those "Solar Roadway" guys, who came up with a nonsense concept that sounded good to people with zero concept of engineering, and got millions of dollars for doing absolutely nothing. It turns out that when you make it easy for the clueless masses to invest money, they're really bad about investing it wisely.

  4. I appreciate your illustrations, in part because they reflect your outmoded thinking about mass production. Mass production doesn't require dedicated factories churning out one thing anymore - Chinese factories-for-hire can achieve efficiencies of scale with much smaller volumes than you suggest. And as for the market, I think you under-estimate the potential - with tens of millions of gamers worldwide, even a niche market could be significant. But of course that's why his is on kickstarter - to test the market's interest.

Continue the discussion bbs.boingboing.net

23 more replies

Participants