THE FAMILY CHEAP GOES ON
A story, by emi.
Check out emi's great stuff! A calendar
from 1995 and the Parker Quintuplets.
When I was younger I used to travel a lot with my family. We could afford
to, since we only stayed in youth hostels or camping grounds. Most of the
time you could eat really cheap at the hostels, but sometimes my parents
preferred to cook breakfast themselves on a small portable stove. Like one
time in Denmark, when we were staying at a relatively fancy youth hostel
in Copenhagen and my parents decided that 2 bucks was too much to pay for
a breakfast buffet. "We'll make our own food in our own room!"
my dad declared with enough determination to stop me from presenting the
advantages of having breakfast at the buffet with 20 handsome Italian boys
I'd met playing table tennis the previous night. So mom went out to get
eggs and milk and dad started to light the little portable stove. He tried
and tried, but it wouldn't start, he got angrier and angrier and then BOOOM!
an enourmous flame arose from the little stove. Now putting it out was close
to impossible since dad had, in a yet another fit of cheapness, bought kerosene
instead of the regular stuff you put in those stoves. Dad tried everything,
but nothing would work, until my mom came running into the room, took the
trashcan, ran into the common bath room where 15 naked ladies watched in
surprise as my mom filled the trashcan with water and took a towel from
a hook on the wall which she put in the water, ran back to our room and
suffocated the flame with the now thoroghly wet, stolen towel. At that point,
enough smoke and heat had seeped from our room to make everyone in the hostel
know what the cheap Swedes were doing in room 322 and we were asked to leave
by the hostel management. All I wanted to say, by telling you this very
true story is:
1) Don't use kerosene in your portable stove. 2) 2 bucks
is not that much for a breakfast buffet 3) 20 handsome Italians is the
best argument I've ever heard not to have breakfast with your parents. I
still regret I was too young to understand it back then.
Look at a gallery of Mark's
Go to bOING bOING Senior Editor Gareth Branwyn's Street Tech
Read Mark's Wired
Your email address:
What do you want?:
Copyright 1997 bOING bOING. This site illustrated and designed
by Otto Matik.