Have you ever neglected to sufficiently tighten the gas cap after refueling your car? If you have a car built after 1996, it's likely to have triggered the "Check Engine" dashboard idiot light, even though nothing is wrong with your car.
Read the rest
Read the rest
Mamadou Barry, 47, racked up two parking tickets in New York while sitting in his car. He was dead at time. "Officials said they were investigating why wardens had failed to give Mr. Barry a third ticket," reports Biebuzz.
I fortunately have not had to use Cyntur Pack Mini Lithium-Ion Jumpstarter to start my car, but it's nice to know I have it if I need it. It's been in my car's trunk for two months, and when I checked it today, the LED meter indicated it was still holding a full charge. (The manufacturer recommends topping it off once a year with the included AC charger, so I set up a reminder on my calendar.)
The 2,000mAh Li-Ion internal battery can also be used to charge mobile devices and it has a built-in flashlight. It comes in a nice zippered case with instructions glued to the inside.
It's very simple to start your car (or someone else's) with this. Just plug the terminal clamps into the battery pack, attach the clamps to the battery terminals, and start the engine. Good riddance to jumper cables.
Cyntur Pack Mini Lithium-Ion Jumpstarter ($100) on Amazon
An epic thread at r/AskReddit invites mechanics to describe the dumbest things people do to their cars.
As you can imagine, there is some pretty stiff competition. Here's a quick tl;dr of the 7000-comment thread.
1. Neglect to check the air pressure of the spare tire. — Back2Bach
2. Neglecting regular car washes in the winter cuts the life of your car in half. - gauget
3. Don't "literally top off" your oil. - Fingerbangbandit
4. Use "placebo bullshit devices [such as] magnets on the fuel line to "align" the gas [and] strange metal fins in the filter housing to spin the air. - rdesktop7
5. Add decals or badges from fast cars that are not even from the same manufacturer - various. (cf. leave dealership stickers on their cars - Kranenborg )
6. Ride on bald tires. - Ravenwald (who has other good ones, too).
7. "Put that loud fucking exhaust on their car and think they have the fastest car on the block. Bitch your shit sounds like a lawnmower" - BattlingMink28
8. Any modification that costs more than the vehicle is worth - huhaskldasdpo.
9. Do nothing when the check engine light comes on. - indymash.
10. "Pretty much every aftermarket part" — Sneeze_wee, who claims to work in auto insurance and has more.
Guilty of #2. Guilty of #8, too, but that's just because the rubber cement used to glue a window seal back on is worth more than a '99 Nissan Sentra.
Over at Cuepoint, a fascinating data analysis of the most popular cars in hip-hop, with lots of charts, graphs, and GIFs.
The most frequently mentioned car make is Mercedes Benz, also often referred to as Benzos. Rappers love to rap about their benzes, but they rarely mention what models. If we get down to the specific model that’s most frequently mentioned, there’s no debate — it’s the Chevy Impala, most specifically the ’64 year model.
In March, motorcyclist Samuel Ayres stopped at a red light and noticed a driver using a phone. He told the driver, "Put down your fucking phone. You're in your car." The driver apparently did not appreciate the advice so he followed Ayres, sideswiped him and knocked him off his motorcycle, and drove away. Ayers is soliciting donations to pay for the resulting bills.
This is the Gibbs Humdinga, a truck that truly goes off-road, right into the water. Read the rest
Read the rest
Excellent marketing at a Jacksonville, Florida MINI dealership. Possibly promo for the forthcoming film Pixels. Either way, delightful. (via Reddit)