Today on Boing Boing tv, "Nazi Petting Zoo," a new piece of political theater by Austrian art prankster collective monochrom, who explain:
In 1938 Austria joined the Third Reich. Millions cheered Hitler and in the referendum 99.75% said 'yes' to 'Greater Germany'.
But after World War II, many Austrians sought comfort in the idea of Austria as "the Nazis' first victim".
Factions of Austrian society tried for a long time to advance the view that it was only annexation at the point of a bayonet(te).
But it's time to embrace history.
It's time to remember the feel-good days of 1938.
It's time to let our real feelings out!
It's time to hug the Nazi, Austria!
Link to Boing Boing tv post with discussion, downloadable video, and instructions for subscribing to the BBtv video podcast.
Previous Boing Boing tv episodes featuring monochrom:
* Fisch Interview
* Orwell's 1984 deconstructed by puppets: monochrom
* Monochrom's Marxist sock puppets
* Monochrom: MyFaceSpace, the musical
* Monochrom: Campfire at Will
* Monochrom: Falco Stairs
* Monochrom: Bar code artist Scott Blake / Falco stencil memorial
* Human USB Hack / Very Simple Motor
* Mark's Curie Engine / Monochrom's love song for Lessig
(note: this item was re-posted to include video embed. XJ)