Horse Whisperer author poisoned by wild mushrooms


(Photo of Cortinarius Speciosissimus from Mycocheype)

Author Nicholas Evans and three family members are seriously ill after eating poisonous mushrooms in The Highlands.

There are about 10,000 species of mushroom found in Britain and Cortinarius Speciosissimus is known to be one of the most deadly. Found mostly in Scotland, where it grows in conifer woods, it causes damage to the liver, kidneys and spinal cord. As other members of the Cortinarius family are also dangerous none are recommended for human consumption.

Horse Whisperer author, Nicholas Evans, poisoned by wild mushrooms