Media Matters catches Bill O'Reilly in another lie, this time about Dr. George Tiller, who performed abortions for "women diagnosed with cancer who needed abortions to qualify for chemotherapy, women who learned late in their pregnancies that their wanted babies had fatal illnesses, and rape victims so young they didn't realize they were pregnant for months," as reported by Susan Hill, President of the National Women's Health Foundation. (See Xeni's post.)
From The Daily Beast:
Finding the truth uncomfortable, Bill O'Reilly has apparently decided just to lie about it: On his show last night, O'Reilly claimed that he could be sure that he did not incite Dr. George Tiller's assassin because he never called him "Tiller the Baby Killer"; he only "reported what groups were calling him."
Here's what Media Matters has dug up:
* On the May 15 edition of The O'Reilly Factor, O'Reilly stated that Kathleen Sebelius, who was then the governor of Kansas and is now secretary of health and human services, "is the most pro-abortion governor in the United States. Based upon Dr. Tiller, the baby killer in her state, and all of that. All right? So there's no doubt."
* On the May 11 edition of The O'Reilly Factor, O'Reilly said Sebelius "is pro-abortion. She wants the babies done for. This is — she supported Tiller the baby killer out there."
* On the April 27 edition of The O'Reilly Factor, O'Reilly said that Sebelius "recently vetoed a bill that placed restrictions on late-term abortions in Kansas. The bill was introduced because of the notorious Tiller the baby killer case, where Dr. George Tiller destroys fetuses for just about any reason right up until the birth date for $5,000."
* On the April 3 edition of The O'Reilly Factor, O'Reilly said, "Tiller got acquitted in Kansas, Tiller the baby killer."
* On the March 27 edition of The O'Reilly Factor, O'Reilly stated: "Now, we have bad news to report, that Tiller the baby killer out in Kansas — acquitted. Acquitted today of murdering babies. I wasn't in the courtroom. I didn't sit on the jury. But there's got to be a special place in hell for this guy."