iFixIt's awesome teardown site (which contains instructions for skinning and gutting many devices) has this fascinating HOWTO for disassembling a banana:
Insert your thumbs into the split of the peel and pull the two sides apart.
Expose the top of the banana. It may be slightly squished from pulling on the stem, but this will not affect the flavor.
Pull open the peel, starting from your original split, and opening it along the length of the banana.
- Robber uses banana as "gun" – Boing Boing
- HOWTO turn a banana into a no-spoon baby-meal – Boing Boing
- Geostationary Banana Over Texas – airship artwork – Boing Boing
- History of the ingredients in a banana split – Boing Boing
- Amy Crehore's "Banana Eater" painting – Boing Boing
- Boing Boing: Peeling bananas from the other end is easier
- Odd new product — creme-filled bananas – Boing Boing