Here's a set of intriguing notes by Joey DeVilla from a talk at the FutureRuby conference called "Artisanal Retro-Futurism and Team-Scale Anarcho-Syndicalism," presented by Brian Marick. I hope a video goes up soon -- I'd love to hear this in full.
# First, let's consider what "anarcho-syndicalism" is
# Consider an agile team. The see themselves as alone in a dangerous place, where no one else is offering any help.
* It would be nice if a "daddy" swooped in and help save them from the mean people
* The are problems with this approach: it's pathetic, and it often doesn't work
# Here's a story for you to illustrate things:
* An agile team was made to work in cubicles, like the rest of the company
* Agile methods aside, cubicles are the "single worst arrangement of humans and objects in space for the purpose of developing software"
* The team proposed changing their workspace to an open one
* Furniture Police turned them down
* In response, the scrum-master went to the office over the weekend. She disassembled the cubicles and changed the office layout to an open one. On Monday, she declared to the Furniture Police that "If the cubicles come back, you will have to fire me."
* They gave in
FutureRuby Talk: "Artisanal Retro-Futurism and Team-Scale Anarcho-Syndicalism"
Update: Here's that video
President Donald Trump’s hand-picked Postmaster General Louis DeJoy launched a major overhaul of the U.S. postal mail service. Among the changes, the two top executives overseeing day-to-day operations have been let go and replaced with DeJoy’s new picks, according to a reorganization memo released Friday.
“The Senate on Thursday unanimously passed legislation to ban the use of the social media app TikTok on federal devices, weeks after the House approved a similar measure,” reports The Hill:
Donald Trump on Thursday issued an executive order that bans doing business with ByteDance, the China-based company that owns TikTok. The ban takes effect in 45 days.
Creating a fantasy world for a video or role-playing game is tough enough. In addition to all the game framework and functionality that goes into a build of any size, creators invariably sweat over the most minute details of every weapon, outfit, or other distinctive objects in their game. Even if your game is set […]
We get it. You don’t have to go to the office anymore. That’s no excuse for letting your grooming go positively feral. We’re not saying you need to be GQ cover model-ready every Monday through Friday. But at least put in some effort to keep yourself relatively trimmed, clean, and on point. Even if you […]
With everybody cooped up inside right now, it’s no surprise that many houses are starting to get a little bit…well, funky. Yeah…they smell. With everybody running around and sweating and working and cooking and everything else, odors get trapped inside your home. And don’t even get us started on what happens when litter boxes and […]