You! Stop! Drop those marshmallows! Before you make a mistake you'll regret, consider this recipe instead.
Grammy Althea's Marshmallow-Free, Awesome-Full Stove Top Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet potatoes, probably about two pounds, peeled and chopped into thick hunks. Two pounds is approximate. You should have enough sweet potatoes, when chopped, to fill your skillet.
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 pound of brown sugar
- Cast-iron skillet
1. Fill cast-iron skillet with peeled and chopped sweet potatoes.
2. Add enough water to not-quite-cover the sweet potatoes.
3. Cut stick of butter into pats and add it to the skillet. Add entire 1 lb. bag of brown sugar to the skillet as well.
4. Bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for about an hour. The liquid should become thick and bubbly, like a gooey delicious tar pit. Sweet potatoes are done when they are soft and glazed-looking.
Image courtesy Flickr user nataliemaynor, via CC
Laura Gao was born in Wuhan before moving to the US at the age of 3. An experienced graphic designer who now works for Twitter, Gao has been — understandably — frustrated with the virulant racism that’s accompanied the worldwide outbreak of the novel coronavirus, and Trump’s continued insistence on blaming China for the virus. […]
Exhibit A: Boycycle, a music video by Vedran Rupic for Bosnian DJ Salvator Ganacci, who stars as the titular creature. Exhibits B1 through B3: Progressive Insurance’s “Motaur” ad campaign, with a similar if less grossly-rendered motif. “Legs on the bottom, motorcycle on the top.”
It started innocently enough. A single dollar bill was pinned to the ceiling of a tiki bar in California — with a tiny paper umbrella, no less. That lone bill soon inspired many more. For over 10 years now, patrons of Forbidden Island, a popular tiki lounge in the island city of Alameda, have been […]
With no movies, concerts, or sporting events to get out and enjoy, the scope of your entertainment universe probably hasn’t strayed too far beyond the edge of your sofa in months. And all that time living life on your A-1 piece of furniture has likely resulted in some unfortunate drink-related accidents. In this couch-based lifestyle, […]
The Avengers. The Justice League. The X-Men. David Blaine. Our world is full of mythical beings endowed with powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men. We gaze upon their herculean feats, marvel, and dream. But while we all wish we could fly or lift tons or shoot lasers from our eyes, we’re really […]
We all love home smart speakers like the Amazon Alexa. But as functional as this home assistant can be, it’s got one nearly indisputable flaw. The Alexa speaker itself just isn’t very good. Oh sure, for voice commands or asking questions or trying to order a pizza, the fidelity quality of the Alexa is fine. […]