You! Stop! Drop those marshmallows! Before you make a mistake you'll regret, consider this recipe instead.
Grammy Althea's Marshmallow-Free, Awesome-Full Stove Top Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet potatoes, probably about two pounds, peeled and chopped into thick hunks. Two pounds is approximate. You should have enough sweet potatoes, when chopped, to fill your skillet.
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 pound of brown sugar
- Cast-iron skillet
1. Fill cast-iron skillet with peeled and chopped sweet potatoes.
2. Add enough water to not-quite-cover the sweet potatoes.
3. Cut stick of butter into pats and add it to the skillet. Add entire 1 lb. bag of brown sugar to the skillet as well.
4. Bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for about an hour. The liquid should become thick and bubbly, like a gooey delicious tar pit. Sweet potatoes are done when they are soft and glazed-looking.