Somali nautical pirates have established a stock-market where guns and cash are invested in upcoming hijackings, with shares of the proceeds returned to investors:
It is a lucrative business that has drawn financiers from the Somali diaspora and other nations -- and now the gangs in Haradheere have set up an exchange to manage their investments...
"Four months ago, during the monsoon rains, we decided to set up this stock exchange. We started with 15 'maritime companies' and now we are hosting 72. Ten of them have so far been successful at hijacking," Mohammed said.
"The shares are open to all and everybody can take part, whether personally at sea or on land by providing cash, weapons or useful materials ... we've made piracy a community activity."
(Image: File:MV-Faina-Pirates.jpg, Public Domain, Wikimedia Commons)
- Somali Pirate talks about how to negotiate ransom, when to kill ...
- Somali Pirates vs. Egyptian Fisherman: guess who wins? - Boing Boing
- Somali pirates versus European toxic-waste dumpers - Boing Boing
- Evil Somali Pirates Attacked by Thousands of Dolphins (caveat ...
- Somali Pirates Have a Livejournal - Boing Boing
- British couple who blogged sailing trip around the world feared ...
- The Business Model of Somalian Pirates (audio) - Boing Boing
- Pirate history podcast from Tank Riot - Boing Boing