Master alternate reality game designer Jane McGonigal's latest venture is Evoke, a project to connect young people in Africa to their counterpars in the the developed world "to empower young people all over the world, and especially in Africa, to start tackling the world's toughest problems: poverty, hunger, sustainable energy, water security, conflict, disaster relief, health care, education, human rights."
The game's motto is "If you have a problem, and you can't solve it alone, EVOKE it," and it's reminiscent of Warren Ellis's fantastic comic Global Frequency — a loose network of people with diverse skills working for everyone's mutual benefit to solve real-world problems.
- Boing Boing Video: Jane McGonigal on Emotion, Gaming, and Dance …
- Boing Boing: Play Jane McGonigal's World Without Oil
- Boing Boing: SF Weekly on Jane McGonigal
- Boing Boing: BoingBoingBoing podcast 13: game developer Jane McGonigal
- Boing Boing: Jane McGonigal joins Institute for the Future
- Ask a Scientist: Jane McGonigal – Boing Boing
- Jane McGonigal's new game: Cruel 2 B Kind – Boing Boing