Dan "We, The Media" Gillmor sez, "What I'd do if I ran a journalism school…"
I would, among many other things:
* Emphasize undergraduate journalism degrees as great liberal arts programs, even more valuable that way than as training for journalism careers. At the same time, focus graduate journalism studies on helping people with expertise in specific areas to be the best possible journalists in their fields.
* Do away with the still-common "track" system for would-be journalists where students focus on print, broadcast, online, etc. These are merging. There would be one track. We wouldn't just recognize our students' digital future; we'd immerse them in it.
* Encourage, and require in some cases, cross-disciplinary learning and doing. We'd create partnerships around the university, working with business, engineering/computer science, film, political science, law, design and many other programs. The goals would be both to develop our own projects and to be an essential community-wide resource for the future of local media.
- Dan Gillmor's "Eleven Things I'd Do If I Ran a News Organization …
- Dan Gillmor posting draft chapters of "Mediactive," book on …
- Boing Boing: Dan Gillmor defines "We Media"
- Dan Gillmor's Journalism 3.1b4 – Boing Boing
- Dan Gillmor's travel notes – Boing Boing
- Dan Gillmor's guide for PR – Boing Boing
- Help Dan Gillmor write his new book! – Boing Boing
- Rational exuberance from Dan Gillmor – Boing Boing