A criminologist from England's University of Leicester claims his research shows that UK burglars are switching to mugging because cheap Chinese imports have crashed the market for used DVD players and other pawnables:
"Cheap labour in China has had an impact on the type of crime that's committed in the UK and the type of goods that are stolen today. Gradually, the prices of such goods has fallen so low as to they almost have no resale value. If you can buy a DVD player for £19.99, it's simply not worth stealing…"
"While DVD players for example, got cheaper, certain consumer items became smaller and were very, very expensive and sought after and so the latest mobile phone, or the latest ipod, which people carry about them, have become targets for robbers."
It is these expensive, personal items, which are the most attractive to thieves today as they still retain value and can therefore be sold on, igniting a career change for criminals from the more traditional household burglaries to personal muggings.
- Thor scares off burglar – Boing Boing
- Woman "beats off burglar with gnome" – Boing Boing
- Burglar checks email – Boing Boing
- Cartoonist draws burglar, cops use it to catch him. – Boing Boing
- HOWTO hide money where burglars won't find it – Boing Boing
- Skid mark underwear hides money from burglars – Boing Boing