Here's game-designer Jane McGonigal at her most incandescently inspiring, speaking at TED. Her hypothesis is that games allow us to experience epic wins, incentivizing us to give them millions of hours to them in order to feel the thrill of success. She proposes that we can harness all that energy — and all the good feeling and camaraderie that emerges from all that play — to solve the world's hardest problems.
And she makes a good case that we can do it. Key phrases: "blissful productivity" and "urgent optimism" and "the desire for epic meaning."
- Jane McGonigal's Game Developers' Conference talk on Making Your …
- Video: Jane McGonigal – Games Can Change the World …
- Jane McGonigal's The Lost Ring alternate reality game
- Video: Jane McGonigal on Emotion, Gaming, and Dance …
- Ask a Scientist: Jane McGonigal
- Jane McGonigal joins Institute for the Future
- SF Weekly on Jane McGonigal
- Jane McGonigal's new game: Cruel 2 B Kind