Inspired by the movie Milk, 81-year-old skeptic and nerd hero James Randi has come out, with a heartfelt
and moving article on spending 70+ years keeping his sexuality a secret.
From some seventy years of personal experience, I can tell you that there's not much "gay" about being homosexual. For the first twenty years of my life, I had to live in the shadows, in a culture that was — at least outwardly — totally hostile to any hint of that variation of life-style. At no time did I choose to adopt any protective coloration, though; my cultivation of an abundant beard was not at all a deception, but part of my costume as a conjuror.
Gradually, the general attitude that I'd perceived around me began to change, and presently I find that there has emerged a distinctly healthy acceptance of different social styles of living — except, of course, in cultures that live in constant and abject fear of divine retribution for infractions found in the various Holy Books… In another two decades, I'm confident that young people will find themselves in a vastly improved atmosphere of acceptance.
(via Wil Wheaton)
(Image: RANDI.jpg, Wikimedia Commons)
- Profile of skeptical guru James Randi
- End of skeptic James Randi's million dollar challenge
- TED: James Randi
- James Randi vs James Hyrdick
- James Randi Calls Out Audiophile: I'm Sure the Crickets Will Sound …
- James Randi puts text of "occult-debunk" encyclopedia online …
- James Randi's letter from Doug Henning is stolen and …