A Supreme Court decision forced a California state university Christian society to accept gays as members as a condition of receiving support from the school ("Other groups may exclude or mistreat Jews, blacks, and women — or those who do not share their contempt for Jews, blacks, and women. A free society must tolerate such groups. It need not subsidize them, give them its official imprimatur, or grant them equal access to law school facilities.").
This ruling has upset Mike Adams, a prof at UNC Wilmington. He's vowed to disrupt atheist student societies by filling their rosters with Christian evangelical students, "to use my young fundamentalist Christian warriors to undermine the mission of every group that disagrees with me on the existence of God."
As PZ Myers points out, if the situation were reversed, Adams and his fellow travelers would doubtless be even more apoplectic: "I can just imagine what would happen if I tried to turn freethinkers on campus into militant disruptors of other organizations: their faculty advisors would descend on me in fury."
But Mike Adams isn't looking for debate. As he says, "I do not seek robust debate. I seek power over the godless heathen dissident."
- Big Tent Atheism
- Atheism Song — Adam Sandler's Hannukah Song, but for nonbelievers …
- Atheist bus ads roll in London today: massive success
- Dramatic readings of message-board posts about atheism from …
- Atheist sign at nativity scene
- Christian Atheism at Speaker's Corner
- Campus atheists offer free porn in exchange for Bibles
- Food for The Eagle – Adam Savage's speech to Harvard Humanism …