From the White House photo description on Flickr: "President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden, along with members of the national security team, receive an update on the mission against Osama bin Laden in the Situation Room of the White House, May 1, 2011. Please note: a classified document seen in this photograph has been obscured."
Some questions and fleeting observations after viewing the larger size, some of which are picked up from Neil Mann's Twitter feed...
* There was some talk on the news wires of CIA director Leon Panetta and the National Security team watching the operation unfold, real-time, via live video. Is that what they're doing here? And how did that work?
* Are they viewing the moment of the kill, or perhaps the body?
* Wonder what that mosaic'd document was. Guesses?
* The document beneath it looks like the aerial shot of the compound one can also see on Google Earth.
* Next to Obama on the floor, there's a burn bag.
* Man next to Clinton has a "Secret Service" lanyard around his neck.
* Clinton's holding a binder that says "Top Secret Code Word NOFORN, For use in White House Sit Room only."
* They're using HP laptops.
* Ethernet, no wireless.
* Clinton's expression is particularly intense.
* Seating arrangement.
UPDATE: TIME has more context.
(Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)
UPDATE: Many photoshops will bloom. Here is one.
And below, by popular demand.
Longtime Donald Trump consigliere Roger Stone is due in prison next week. Facebook on Wednesday took down 50 personal and professional pages connected to the U.S. President’s former adviser, about 10 years after it would do any good.
The Joe Biden campaign just got a typeface upgrade.
Kanye West announced this weekend that he’s running for president, winning the immediate endorsement of billionaire socialite Elon Musk. It turns out, however, that West has filed none of the paperwork required to do so. So as of now, it’s just a dream—or a stunt. it’s unclear whether West is really running. He does not […]
Back in the 50s and 60s, it was no big deal in most areas to make a call to your local liquor store and have beer, wine and spirits delivered right to your house with little to no restriction. However, that ease and simplicity certainly isn’t in place today. Alcohol delivery laws in 2020 are […]
Unless you’re a regular cannabis user, you might be surprised to learn that the plant itself is basically just that — a plant. It’s not until you put cannabis under high heat that the process of decarboxylation breaks down that raw form into the psychoactive compounds that can actually benefit the body. This unlocking process […]
With our smartphones serving as the vital tether that links us to the rest of our lives, it’s no wonder how low batteries and power emergencies can occasionally feel like a life-and-death situation. I mean, it’s usually not, of course…but darned if it doesn’t feel that way when your indicator is showing only 5 percent […]