Update, Oct. 27, 5pm Pacific: Olsen will undergo brain surgery "within the next one or two days."
In the photo above, Veterans For Peace member Scott Olsen, who is identified as a former U.S. Marine and Iraq war veteran, lies on the street after being struck in the head by a police projectile in Oakland, California, during eviction of the Occupy Oakland encampment.
The police attack occurred Tuesday night, and was captured in video blogged in previous Boing Boing posts.
At the time of this blog post, Olsen remains in a hospital in Oakland, CA, in "fair" condition, upgraded from "critical." He received skull fractures. Yesterday he was in a medically-induced coma, and he has undergone surgery. His roommate Keith Shannon reported to Current TV's Keith Olbermann today that Olsen can now breathe on his own, but will likely need more surgery.
UPDATE: The Guardian reports:
Scott Olsen requires surgery to relive the pressure on his brain, according to his roommate Keith Shannon.
"Neurosurgeons have decided he needs surgery to relieve the pressure on his brain and it will happen in a day or two," Shannon said.
He added that Olsen's parents should be arriving at the hospital to be with their son shortly.
The name and affiliation of the officer who threw a projectile at Olson and the protesters who were helping him has not yet been publicly reported.
- Occupy Oakland: Riot police use tear gas, other weapons …
- Occupy Oakland: video shows police officer throwing "flash grenade …
- Police raid on Occupy Oakland: the morning after – Boing Boing
- Dozens of Occupy Oakland protesters arrested in dawn raid – Boing …
- Oakland police: "Let slip the kittens of war" – Boing Boing
- Rogue Drummers, Disobedient Cops, Oakland Evictions: An Occupy …