Nakoula Basseley Nakoula escorted by LA County Sherriff's deputies from his home in Cerritos, CA. Photo: AP/CBS2-KCAL9, LA.
A federal judge today determined that California resident Nakoula Basseley Nakoula (aka Sam Bacile), one of the men behind a crappy, anti-Islamic YouTube video linked to violent protests in the Middle East and the death of a US ambassador, "is a flight risk" and must be jailed. Snip from AP:
Citing a lengthy pattern of deception, U.S. Central District Chief Magistrate Judge Suzanne Segal said Nakoula Basseley Nakoula should be held after officials said he violated his probation from a 2010 check fraud conviction.
''The court has a lack of trust in this defendant at this time,'' Segal said.
Nakoula had eight probation violations, including lying to his probation officers and using aliases, and he might face new charges that carry a maximum two-year prison term, authorities said.
After his 2010 conviction, Nakoula was sentenced to 21 months in prison and was barred from using computers or the Internet for five years without approval from his probation officer.
Noah Shachtman at Wired News' Danger Room has more on this story development, here. Snip:
It's only the latest in a 21 year-long series of run-ins with the law. In August of 1991, Nakoula, who own a gas station, was convicted on two counts of selling watered-down fuel. Six years later, he was arrested on charges related to the manufacture of PCP. Then came the 2009 arrest for using 14 different identities to pass off bogus checks. Among them: Kritbag Difrat and P.J. Tobacco. Afterwards, Nakoula turned informant against the supposed ringleader of the check kiting ring, and in received a relatively light penalty for participation in the scheme: a $794,700 fine, 21 months in federal custody, and an order to keep his hands off of the keyboard and mouse.
(thanks, Aileen Graef)
- Man believed to be "Innocence of Muslims" filmmaker once arrested …
- Gawker outs director of "Innocence of Muslims" as softcore porn …
- Bomb threats linked to "Innocence of Muslims" lead to evacuations …
- If Google yanks "Innocence of Muslims," will it lose…
- Pakistan blocks YouTube over "Innocence of Muslims"
- Meet some of the curious characters linked to "Innocence of Muslims"
- More signs point to "Media for Christ" firm behind "Innocence of Muslims
- Crappy YouTube trailer leads to death of US diplomat and others
- Report: Mysterious gentleman behind Anti-Muhammad movie
- Middle East mobs freaking the hell out over YouTube video
- White House asks YouTube to "review" that anti-Muslim video
- TOM THE DANCING BUG: The God-Man YouTube Video!