An excellent five-point pledge from our friends at GeekDad:
1. We commit to support the development of video games with female characters that are at least as realistic and interesting as their male characters.
2. We further commit to publicly call out video games and other related geeky media that treat women as less interesting or capable than men, and particularly fantasy art in which women appear to be stupid enough to think that wearing only an armor bikini would actually be useful.
3. We commit to support female game developers as much as possible. This could include publicizing crowdfunding campaigns, reviewing indie games that might otherwise go unnoticed, interviewing developers, promoting programs to encourage girls to pursue careers in game development, and anything else we can think of.
4. We further commit, however, NOT to reject in any way any video game simply because nobody on the development team was female. Because that would be just as bad as the discrimination we’re trying to fight.
5. We commit to provide a safe place on our site for anyone, of any gender, to comment on articles without fear of doxxing or personal threats in our comments. If for any reason we are unable to adequately filter out such things, we commit to disable comments entirely on our site in order to make it a safe place.
Don’t Read The Comments is the newest book by Eric Smith, a literary agent and author of The Geek’s Guide To Dating and other books, as well as the owner of many adorable pets. (Full disclosure: Eric was also my editor many, many years ago on the Quirk Books blog, and we’ve remained friends since […]
In my latest podcast (MP3), I read my new Locus column, "Jeannette Ng Was Right: John W. Campbell Was a Fascist,"which revisits Jeannette Ng's Campbell Awards speech from this summer's World Science Fiction convention.
The latest turn in the Gamergate sage: Zoe Quinn (previously) outed their former partner, game dev Alec Holowka as a sexual and emotional abuser, which prompted others to come forward with their own stories of abuse at Holowka's hands, which led to Holowka being kicked out of his Night in the Woods game project -- […]
Did you know that you are free to change your auto insurance at any time? Maybe you do know that, but don’t want to deal with the inconvenience of changing providers. Or maybe you simply already think you have a great deal. The fact is that your car insurance is one of those expenses that […]
According to researchers, stay-at-home orders in the US and around the globe are helping those working from home grab an extra 15 minutes of sleep per night. For college students, it’s even up to 30 extra minutes each night. Meeting your quality sleep threshold is actually one of the greatest indicators of your overall health. […]
Businesses used to thrive on the instincts of entrepreneurs. Guile, moxie, and a conviction to trust the gut was often the driving force behind a business’s biggest successes. Today, there’s too much on the line to leave anything to chance, including betting your future on a whim. Instead, the stat-heads have taken over, data analysts […]