LISTEN: Dr. Monkey's Retro Scans
Our guest this week is Steve Denton, AKA Dr. Monkey. Steve is an internet scourge, sometime writer, full time smart aleck, and an unrepentant gadfly in the ointment of life.
Gweek is brought to you by Pencils.com, makers of the Blackwing 602 pencil, which is a favorite here at Boing Boing. We like to hand them out to friends, and everyone we give a Blackwing pencil to loves it. The line is smooth and dark, and lives up to its motto “Half the Pressure, Twice the Speed.” Visit blackwing602.com to learn about the different kinds of pencils, erasers, sharpeners, and notebooks they offer.
And by Crunchyroll, offer 1080p streaming anime with English subtitles. Try it free for a month by signing up at Crunchyroll.com/gweek.
NOTE: Gweek takes a lot of time and work to produce. We've hired a producer to record and edit episodes of Gweek. This will improve the quality of the episodes and allow us to publish one episode per week. Gweek will always remain free to listen to, but if you can kick in a dollar or so per episode through Patreon, it will be put to good use!
Our guest this week is Steve Denton, AKA Dr. Monkey. Steve is an internet scourge, sometime writer, full time smart aleck, and an unrepentant gadfly in the ointment of life. He runs the blogs Monkey Muck and Dr. Monkey’s Retro Scans, which we’ve mentioned previously on Gweek.
- After rejecting all the organized religions out there, I started my own religion, it’s called Steveism. The seven tenets of Steveism are 1) Try to be kind to all living things 2) Don’t be a jerk all the time 3) Talk less 4) Listen more 5) Science is our true savior 6) Don’t take yourself too seriously 7) All other religions are nonsense.
- I wrote a novel that now out of print, it’s a southern fried crime novel about what happens when someone you meet and tell lies to in a chat room decides to come meet you in person. It’s called ‘Trouble De Ville.’
- I wrote a graphic novel called ‘Hip Deep, Mountain High.’ It’s a surreal crime story. It was on the net but I took it down. I may release it to iTunes and other e book platforms.
- I was an extra in the little seen and less loved independent film ‘Box of Moonlight.’
- I did improv comedy for many years with Einstein Simplified in Knoxville TN. I stopped doing it the night I had a massive heart attack right before going on stage one night ten years ago.
I’d like to recommend local libraries, visiting this area of the mountain south, white ales, and livin’ large.
- As far as other entertainments go, I’m loving British comedy genius Julia Davis’s shows on HuluPLUS, Nighty Night and Hunderby. I’m also into the New Zealand show This is NOT My Life on HuluPLUS, it’s a Pinteresque dystopian utopia sci fi show.
- I just finished a fascinating book by Samira Kawash called Candy: A Century of Panic and Pleasure. It’s a general history of candy in the USA. I’m currently reading Simon Winchester’s history of the Atlantic ocean.
- I also went to my first comic book show, a local one here in my area, I met Charles Vess who lives near Abingdon, Virginia, a town that’s about 30 minutes from me. I had a blast at the show taking pictures of all the great cosplay, meeting writers and artists, and buying back issues of obscure comics.
- I had a bout with cancer last year. I had a rare form of cancer in my bowel that they caught very early because it was blocking my bowel and preventing me from pooping.
GET GWEEK: RSS |
On iTunes | Download episode | Stitcher
Gweek is back – at least for now! For those of you who are new to Gweek, it’s a podcast where the editors and friends of Boing Boing talk about media, science, science fiction, video games, comic books, board games, TV shows, music, movies, tools, gadgets, apps, and other neat stuff. My is co-host Dean […]
Our guest this week is Maggie Tokuda Hall. She writes books for children and stories for adults.
Gweek is brought to you by Crunchyroll, offering 1080p streaming anime with English subtitles. Try it free for a month by signing up at Crunchyroll.com/gweek
It might still be September, but the holiday season will be here before you know it, which means now is the time to think about where you want to vacation to—and what to do once you get there. To this end, we’ve scoured the Web and tracked down a number of travel hacking ebooks, gadgets, […]
The human eye is a beautiful, incredible thing, but it’s far from perfect, especially when it comes to examining objects up close. Capable of magnifying objects up to 1,000 times, this portable microscope camera lets you see wonders hidden to your regular vision, and it’s on sale today for $38.99. Don’t let its compact size fool […]
There’s no shortage of apps available for your Mac, and, while it’s great to have options, this overabundance makes it difficult to find the apps worth installing on your computer. Thankfully, there’s the Pay What You Want: The Ultimate Mac Bundle ft. 2Do to simplify the process, which boasts 10 of the best Mac apps out […]