In December on the forum biohack.me, there was a fascinating discussion entitled "Why are transhumanists such dicks?" What came out of it was this.
• The grinder community (those who actively hack themselves to augment human capability) overlaps with transhumanism (a broader category of those interested in enhancing human intellectual and physical abilities).
• Many grinders have the opinion transhumanists and grinders differ in class (transhumanists are perceived as wealthy), in geography (transhumanists often hail from the Bay Area, grinders tend to operate in working-class cities, including a prominent group in Pittsburgh), and in outlook (self-serving vs. collectively motivated).
• The impulse to circumvent existing rules of medical ethics is sometimes based on the desired to speed up progress. But this is problematic: Ethics laws are in place partly because of the real harm that has historically been visited on disenfranchised subjects involved in dangerous medical tests and procedures.
• Transhumanists are often more Ayn Randian in character, Grinders more Pinky and the Brain.
• Grinders have focused on a limited number of feasible biohacking projects and have succeeded where transhumanists are in the planning stage of grandiose but less realistic persuits in body augmentation.
• Assholes are everywhere.
The discussion was started rather flippantly by Frank Swain, the UK writer who hacked his own hearing aids to sense Wi-Fi signals late last year, but it gathered steam for a few weeks and led to some real insights.
Google is reported to be under investigation by the United States National Labor Relations Board (NLRB.gov) for allegations of discouraging union organizing among workers, and for firing the so-called “Thanksgiving Four.”
Senator and 2020 US presidential candidate Bernie Sanders’ “High-Speed Internet For All” plan, unveiled today, promises $150 billion to build publicly owned broadband networks — and to break the chokehold that Comcast, Verizon, and AT&T have on Americans’ access to information and communication.
You might know someone who can make a pipe out of any conceivable household object. But if they’re doing it every time they smoke, it might be time to get them a little Christmas present. And we’ve got just the thing: The Twisty™️ Glass Original Combo Pack, priced way, way down for December. If you’ve […]
With all the revolutionary tech that’s out there, it’s pretty sad that finding a simple stud in your wall can feel like dowsing for water. This can be equally true whether you’re using a magnetic finder and it’s reliance on “feel,” or an electronic unit that can give fuzzy readings (especially when the batteries are […]
Do you have any Star Wars fans on your list? Given the reach and output of its new corporate masters these days, it might be easier to ask if there’s anyone out there who isn’t a Star Wars fan. So let’s narrow it down further: Do you know a Star Wars fan who likes to […]