The "Ukrainian lacing" method puts a pair of loops in both sets of top eyelets, cross-laces to the bottom, and anchors the laces with a pair of hidden knots, so that you can slip your foot into a "tied" shoe, then tighten it and tie a perfect bow with no loose ends.
1. The Ukrainian Lacing starts from the top pair of eylets. IMPORTANT: use same technique on the both shoes (NO mirroring).
2. Go from the top right (as seen from above when a shoe is on your foot) eyelet to the next opposite one as shown.
3. Turn the left end of the lace around another one from ABOVE and pass it through the next opposit eyelet forming a half-knot.
4. Lace to the end using whatever style you’d like (we prefer criss-cross style) and make small knots on the lace’s ends.
5. Arrange the lacing as shown. Now the sheaker is laced with Ukrainian Lacing. Note, the lacing has tightened (green, most of the lacing) and loose (rose, top pair of eyelets) areas.
II. Doing the Knot
1. Tighten the lacing before doing a knot (note, that the knot is located in the second pair of eyelets, not the first one!)…
2. Do the knot as usually. In this case it’s a standard shoe knot (it can be any of many other types). It looks nice, doesn’t it? Note: No tails at all.
3. To undo the knot pull any of the “loose” segments of the lace. Bonus: now you can comfortably wear your sneakers with undone knot.
Step-by-Step Instructions [Ukrainian Lacing]
I'm coming to Halifax to give the closing keynote on day one of Atlseccon on April 24th: it's only my second-ever visit to the city and the first time I've given a talk there, so I really hope you can make it!
Chuck Tingle (previously) has leapt into action with some of the most trenchant analysis of the Mueller Report yet seen: Redacted In The Butt By Redacted Under The Tromp Administration covers all the most significant details through an exquisitely crafted tale of gay pornography.
Sculptor Jud Turner (previously) sends us two new pieces: Deindustry ("a meditation on the industrial divinity of late-stage capitalism, and combines my fear of heights with my fear of over-industrialization") and Scale of Themis ("an imagined tool for the Greek goddess Themis to weigh possible civilizations against each other. The tiny differences in these two […]
It’s 4/20! Smoke ’em if you got ’em – and if you haven’t got ’em, check out this roundup of deep discounts on pipes and other accessories. They’re all on sale, but you can take an extra discount off the final price courtesy of the Boing Boing store by using the online code 420SAVE. Freeze […]
Ever wonder if you’re cleaning your teeth well enough? If your last dentist visit has you getting a little more thorough about oral care, it might be time to save yourself some guesswork. A lot of electric toothbrushes promise deep cleaning, but there’s a Platinum Sonic Toothbrush that has power plus the simple but effective […]
The digital age is well and truly upon us, but let’s not forget there’s a load of free TV content floating literally over our heads. No, we’re not talking about the internet. Signals from major broadcast networks are still gratis for anyone who can pick them up with an antenna. And before you envision those […]