Here's some fun: "Place hand in dog's cage and hold it there for as long as you dare. Dog pants, dribbles warm saliva and other disgusting things." It's a coin-operated amusement built by Tim Hunkin, and you can see a customer trying it out in this video.
Tim Hunkin is a brilliant cartoonist, inventor, and TV show host. He wrote some great articles for me at Make magazine and I'm always happy to learn about anything he creates. In this video, we get to see Test Your Nerve and some of the other one-of-a-kind coin-operated machines Tim has built for his new-ish mechanical amusement arcade in London.
Some of the machine's at Tim's arcade:
- MONEY LAUNDERING: Pick up cash from the gutter and deposit it in the city without the regulators spotting
- MICROBREAK: Sit in the chair and travel on holiday, moved by the magic carpet.
- ALIEN PROBE: Investigate the captive alien BUT try not to annoy it.
- DIVORCE: Race to separate, then see the results.
- PET OR MEAT: Spin the arrow and see where it lands. Then view what happens to the lamb in detail.
- AUTOFRISK: Stand in position and let the rubber gloves give you a thorough frisk.
- MY-NUKE: Use the remote manipulator arm to open the fuel box and load the fuel pellets into the reactor.
- INSTANT WEIGHTLOSS: Watch weightfree nutrients prepared especially for you and then watch yourself lose weight in the mirror.
- EXPRESSIVE PHOTOBOOTH: Sit inside and the booth activates mechanisms to provoke a wide range of expressions while taking the photos.
Remember UC Berkeley researcher Pieter Abbeel’s fantastic towel-folding robot? Now, Abbeel and his team have prototyped a new kind of robot arm design meant for the home and other human environments. Compared to robot arms common in factories, this manipulator, called Blue, is less expensive (
Toyota Engineering Society’s CUE 3 is a 6’3″ humanoid robot reportedly hits free throws with nearly 100 percent accuracy. From the AP: (The robot) computes as a three-dimensional image where the basket is, using sensors on its torso, and adjusts motors inside its arm and knees to give the shot the right angle and propulsion […]
I-Wei Huang (aka Crabfu) makes all sorts of cool steam-powered mini-robots. In this video, he explains how he made a walking robot.
For musicians, clubgoers or anyone in the thick of a loud environment, earplugs aren’t just an option. If you plan on keeping your hearing through sustained exposure to levels over 85 decibels (roughly the sound of a blender), they’re a must. The good news is, most earplugs will muffle the sound. The bad news is, […]
Seasoned chefs have a bit of a love-hate relationship with their cutlery. A really good set of knives has to prove its worth by being put through the wringer – and if they’re really good, they’ll still look great afterward. So it is with the Damasukasu Japanese 3-Piece Master Chef Hanshu Knife Set. Sitting in […]
With the intuitive software out there today, anyone can become a music producer. You’ve probably heard that from any number of laptop impresarios, but you still have to know how to use the tools – and Logic Pro X is one of the best platforms out there right now. In order to get the most […]