Cops: Helpful burglar reported lit stove in victim's home to 911


Mary Smith was looking for prescription medicine and cigarette filters in a neighbor's home when she noticed the stove was going, so she made the neighborly decision to report the fire hazard to 911.

A Madisonville, Kentucky area news report:

After arrival, firefighters could find no signs of fire but noticed that the kitchen stove was turned on inside the residence. After speaking with Smith, they became suspicious that she didn't have permission to be inside the residence.

Debbie Downer-inspired mugshot courtesy Hopkins County Jail.

Alleged Burglar Calls 911 to Report Fire (SurfKYNews/Hopkins County Sherriff's Department)