Religion blogger Fred Clark is fascinated with the urban legends and panic surrounding "satanism," so years ago he set up a Google News Alert for the word "Satanic." Over at Pathos, he posted the funny, ridiculous, and fascinating things he's learned. Here's a sample:
• Every year, dozens of filmmakers try to recapture the magic that made The Exorcist so unsettling. Most fail.
• Pat Boone is still alive.
• The political performance art of the Satanic Temple is both hilarious and pointedly effective. They’re defending the First Amendment the way that we Baptists are supposed to.
• Adolescent legend tripping is happening all the time, every day, somewhere in the English-speaking world.
• Adults who should know better are freaking out and over-reacting to adolescent legend tripping all the time, every day, somewhere in the English-speaking world.
• Censorious adults worried about Kids Today listening to satanic heavy metal aren’t really keeping up with the satanic heavy metal acts trying hardest to gain their condemnation.
• Same goes for video games.
"Things I Have Learned Due to My Google News Alert for the Word ‘Satanic’" (via Daily Grail)
Inspired by Marx's aphorism that "Religion is the opium of the people," the USSR commissioned a wealth of anti-religious artwork, much of it very clever and striking. A new book called Godless Utopia: Soviet Anti-Religious Propaganda, edited by Roland Elliott Brown, Damon Murray and Stephen Sorrell collects the most striking examples of the form. The […]
MSCHF told CBS that it customized a pair of Nike Air Max 97 sneakers by attaching a crucifix as a shoelace charm, and adding to the soles “holy water from the River Jordan, which was blessed by a priest in Brooklyn.” The resulting “Jesus Shoes” are available for purchase at shoe speculating site StockX for […]
Perhaps Cleveland preacher Perry Stone is expecting an urgent text from the holy spirit.
If you’re just jumping into app development for Apple’s devices, you’ve picked a heady time. The new iOS 13 has a ton of new features: A versatile SwiftUI language, a boosted role for Siri and a more robust Photos app, just to name a few. And if you’re making the transition from iOS 12? Get […]
Most people don’t spare a lot of thought on the potting for their plants. Perhaps something with a color that matches the walls, but that’s as far as it goes. After all, the plants don’t care what they’re wearing. Do they? Actually, they might. As eye-catching as the AIRSAI Floating Bonsai Plant Pot is, its […]
With the gains real estate has made over stocks in the past 25 years, it’s easy to see why the rich constantly use it to expand their wealth. What’s slightly less obvious is why only the rich seem to ever break into real estate investment. There are a lot of reasons, but a couple of […]