You may not love the Gipper, and you probably have good reason. His recipe for Macaroni and Cheese, from the White House Family Cookbook, by Henry Haller, however is amazing! Really, I mean AMAZING!
This is the best Macaroni and Cheese I've ever had.
The recipe comes from The White House Family Cookbook, the supporting text was lightly edited:
Mac and Cheese ala Ronaldo
This recipe serves 4 AMERICANS as an entrée, or 6 to 8 as a side dish. It serves one Texan.
- 1/2 pound macaroni
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg beaten
- 3 cups grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Pinch of paprika
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Add macaroni to 2 quarts of boiling salted water and cook for 10 minutes.
- Drain well in a colander. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Stir in butter and beaten egg. Add 2-1/2 cups of the grated cheese.
- In a small bowl, combine milk with salt, mustard and Worcestershire sauce.
- Spoon macaroni and cheese into the prepared casserole. Pour milk mixture over and sprinkle top with the remaining cheese.
- Sprinkle with paprika. Bake on middle shelf of preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until macaroni is firm to the touch and the top is crusty and browned.
Serve at once, either as a light entree accompanied by a hot green vegetable and a crisp salad, or as a side dish with Hamburgers or Jelly Bellys.