The Chelsea Manning Support Network contacted us by email to inform us that:
1) The date of Chelsea's disciplinary board hearing has been changed to Thursday, September 22 at 9:30 am CST.
2) This board has been convened to consider the charges brought against Chelsea.
4) Chelsea will not be permitted legal representation at the board. She will represent herself (before the three-person body convened to determine whether to find her guilty of the three pending charges).
5) On Tuesday afternoon, while her supporters were announcing the end of her hunger strike, Chelsea was examining the 70 pages of evidence being used against her (in the disciplinary action based on the charges stemming from her suicide attempt).
6) She was not allowed to keep a copy or make a copy of this extensive record, only to examine it for about 45 minutes and make some notes.
7) Having to look through the evidence again left her quite shaken and feeling as if she had relived the experience of the attempted suicide.
8) This experience confirmed for her just how aggressively the USDB is pursuing these charges against her.
Since Chelsea is busy preparing to defend herself at the board hearing, her Support Network is not sure if she will be able to tweet regularly in the coming days.
The Support Network will check in with us every morning at approximately 9AM EST with whatever updates are available as we count down the days until Chelsea's disciplinary board.
(Image courtesy of the Chelsea Manning Support Network)
[Yesterday, we published my review of Tim Schwartz's new guide for whistleblowers, A Public Service: Whistleblowing, Disclosure and Anonymity; today, I'm delighted to include this generous excerpt from Schwartz's book. Schwartz is an activist whom I've had the pleasure of working with and I'm delighted to help him get this book into the hands of […]
Since New Year's Day, @hindsightfiles has been tweeting a steady stream of links to leaked Cambridge Analytica documents revealing the company's work on election manipulation for candidates around the world, including Malaysia, Kenya and Brazil -- 100,000+ documents relating to 68 countries, which @hindsightfiles has pledged to release in the coming months.
John Barnett had a three-decade career as a Boeing quality manager, but after he was transferred to the Charleston, SC production facility for the Boeing 787 "Dreamliner," he became a whistleblower -- now he's been forced out of the company and is waiting for various federal agencies to rule on the complaints he brought against […]
Presidents’ Day and VPNs may not be a natural fit at first glance. But think about it for a minute. George Washington and Abraham Lincoln were both American presidents whose legacies are forever tied with liberty and freedom. And what is a VPN service if not absolute web liberty and freedom for all your digital […]
You hear the stories all the time. You know the ones about how a new vehicle instantly loses hundreds, even thousands of dollars in value the second a new owner drives it off the lot. Depreciation is a killer, especially when the item itself works just as well — or maybe even better than all […]
Spring cleaning time is right around the corner, and, if we’re being honest, the whole thing is kind of a drag. But keeping your home clean in any season is necessary for both health and happiness, so why not make it a little less daunting? The correct tools help make any work easier, and that’s […]