Bill Nye and The Planetary Society released a direct appeal to the Trump administration, asking that the government continue to focus on Mars and support commercial space industry. Trump proposed a reduction in the NASA budget.
You can download the entire report, but here are their five recommendations:
• Maintain the exploration of Mars as the organizing principle for NASA's human spaceflight program
• Direct NASA to plan an executable, affordable path for sending humans to Mars orbit by 2033
• Expand NASA's highly successful science portfolio
• Continue to grow and support the commercial space industry
• Initiate annual five percent increases to NASA's budget for five years
It's a very reasonable plan and an investment in American jobs, so let's hope the message gets through.