People are 113 times more likely to catch a cold when they're on an airplane, according to a 2004 study in the Journal of Environmental Health Research. Why? Because the inside of a plane is a cesspool of germs, that's why.
Although anything you touch inside a plane can potentially be a direct route to a cold, Time gives us the top five nastiest areas that you'll want to wipe down before you get near them.
1. Tray tables – Sorry to tell you this, but the tray table that comes down from the seat in front of you has "eight times the amount of bacteria per square inch than the lavatory flush buttons," according to Time. That's eight times more germy than your toilet seat at home.
2. Air vents and seat buckles – Again, sorry to tell you this, but there is more bacteria on air vent dials than on the plane toilet flush buttons.
3. Rest rooms – This is an obvious one.
4. Seatback pockets – People treat these pockets like trash cans, and crews don't clean them well after every flight. Germs can live in these seat pockets for up to seven days. Yuck.
5. Aisle seat – It's very common for anyone going in and out of their seat row to touch the top of the first seat in an aisle. And this puts passengers "in the line of fire of any communicable viruses that could break out on the plane."
Ugh. For more details go to Time.
Documents on an unprotected, network-connected drive owned by an employee of Nokia shed light on the inner workings of Russia’s networked surveillance system known as SORM (Russian: COPM).
I gave my mother my treasured 5-quart Lodge deep skillet and lid when I found a lovely antique to restore. I’ve been using it while visiting with them. It was no easy thing when I gave my Mom my Lodge chicken pan. I had been using it for ages as my primary skillet and perfected […]
This Candy Chemistry set is a great way to learn about candy with your kid, in the kitchen. Do not, however, leave your kid alone with this Candy Chemistry set. Learn all about candy, and temperature control, in your own kitchen. This kit comes with almost everything you’ll need to make quite a few delicious […]
Your smartphone’s GPS is a modern necessity for some trips, but how do you use it safely? It’s been a problem ever since phones went mobile. A certain phone mount even shelled out the money for a commercial during the Big Game, so clearly there’s a market for the solution. Turns out there are a […]
There’s reading for pleasure, and then there’s reading for fuel; absorbing the great ideas in nonfiction books so you can apply them in your own life. In today’s hectic pace, it can be difficult to find the time to do that reading – especially for the entrepreneurs and professionals who can benefit the most from […]
Breaking into the big leagues as a project manager isn’t done overnight, but there are principles that anyone can learn, and they’re applicable to nearly any business. No matter what your field, if there are multiple teams working toward a common goal, you’re going to need a roadmap. The Project Management Professional Certification Training Suite […]