Don't despair. Take action.
Trump just signed an executive order ending his family separation policy. The alternative they're proposing is indefinite military detention of families. This is not acceptable. This is not over. Feeling despair? Take action. Please share.
1. Donate to RAICES, a nonprofit that provides low-cost legal defense services to immigrant families. Donate directly to the RAICES 'LEAF' Project here. Donate directly to the RAICES Family Reunification and Bond Fund here.
2. Al Otro Lado is a binational border NGO that provides legal services in Tijuana, MX to immigrants who are crossing into or deported out of the U.S. from Mexico. Some of the people they're helping are deportee mothers or fathers whose children have been separated from them, and remain in the United States. Donations here.
4. The ACLU rules. They're fighting this. It's what they do. Get involved.
6. This ActBlue Charities link lets you donate to 8 different nonprofits easily and quickly. List includes ACLU, United We Dream, Kids in Need of Defense (KIND), and the Asylum Seeker Advocacy Project.
7. Contact your elected officials. Let your Senator or Representative in Congress know how you feel. Contact the office of the President of the United States, which Donald Trump is currently defiling, and register your opposition to his abusive policies.
10. Immigrant children forcibly injected with drugs, lawsuit claims. REVEAL News, from the Center for Investigative Reporting, published this story on the forced drugging of detained kids. Read it, if you can bear it. The nonprofit that's suing to help these children is The Center for Human Rights & Constitutional Law. “The Center is a non-profit, public interest legal foundation dedicated to furthering and protecting the civil, constitutional, and human rights of immigrants, refugees, children, prisoners, and the poor.” Support them. Volunteer. Donate.
Your suggestions in the comments, please. —- XJ