"Recent incidents of Trump officials being confronted in public for their role in the administration’s separation and imprisonment of immigrant families have driven renewed concern about the lack of civility in U.S. politics. The Onion presents tips for staying civil in a debate about child prisons."
- Avoid unkind generalizations like equating the jailing of ethnic minorities with some malevolent form of fascism.
- Recall that violently rejecting a tyrannical government goes against everything our forefathers believed in.
- Make sure any protests are peaceful, silent, and completely out of sight of anyone who could actually affect government policy.
- Give your political opponents the benefit of the doubt by letting this play out for 20 years and seeing if it gets any better on its own.
- Realize that every pressing social issue is solved through civil discourse if you ignore virtually all of human history.
- Avoid painting with a broad brush. Not everyone in favor of zero-tolerance immigration wants to see children in cages—it’s more likely that they just don’t care.
Arrivederci, asshole. In Italy, authorities are reportedly evicting alt-right self-promoter Steve Bannon from the medieval monastery he’d planned to transform into a white supremacist radicalization academy, “after reports of fraud in the competitive tender process.” Being evicted from his fancy Italian gladiator castle is a big setback for Bannon, who’s trying to grow an alt-right […]
We haven’t talked about Nicaragua for a while. But things still aren’t going well down there, so let’s get back on that shit. According to the Financial Times, Nicaragua’s national police released a statement on Friday that declared demonstrations–of which, in Nicaragua, there are many–to be illegal. The day after making this declaration, riot police […]
Conservatives have nothing but good things to say about James O’Keefe and Breitbart’s tactics of using hostile video crews to harass people in public. They don’t complain when abortion protestors bomb clinics, or when Trump encourages violence at his rallies. (“Knock the crap out of them, would you? I promise you, I will pay your […]
Father’s Day is June 21st, otherwise known as the roughest shopping day of the year. Don’t get us wrong, Dad deserves an awesome gift for all the great things he gave you. But let’s be honest — buying for your father is often a chore. Your gift has to take into account what he already […]
Even in horrible economic times, a few simple rules hold unshakably true. And one of those rules is that if you possess an in-demand skill, you’ll always find work — and often, at a top market salary, to boot. If you understand Big Data and how to find order from the chaos of massive stockpiles […]
We live in a disposable era. If you can’t fix a broken item with a wrap of duct tape, there’s a very strong likelihood that its next destination is the trashcan. However, that probably leads to a trigger-finger death sentence for many household items that could be saved with just a bit more ingenuity. Before […]