Yesterday it was reported that three new York City police officers were sickened and sent to a hospital after drinking poisoned milkshakes from a Shake Shack restaurant. After investigating, the New York Police Department found that the milkshakes were not intentionally spiked with detergent, but that the milkshake machine was not properly drained of cleaning solution before the milkshake mixture was added to it.
From The New York Post:
Police Benevolent Association president Patrick Lynch wrote that several officers who had been assigned to a protest detail stopped at the Shake Shack.
"At some point during their meal period, the (officers) discovered that a toxic substance, believed to be bleach, had been placed in their beverages," he wrote.
"The contamination was not discovered until the (officers) had already ingested a portion of their beverages," Lynch continued. "They are currently at the hospital receiving treatment and are expected to recover."
He added: "When New York City police officers cannot even take meal without coming under attack, it is clear that environment in which we work has deteriorated to a critical level. We cannot afford to let our guard down for even a moment."