When the recent fires in Vacaville, California approached the home of Chad Little, he decided to stay and try to protect his house himself. Apparently though, Little's water supply was ultimately shut off so when the flames moved toward his welding workshop, he grabbed the only liquid source he could find: some cases of Bud Light. From the San Jose Mercury News:
"That was the only thing I had that I had a lot of, and it was wet," he said. "Luckily, I had a bunch of cases of Bud Light and I was able to get it out."
When Little ripped up the sheet metal on the side of his workshop, he found a nail sticking out so he used it to puncture holes in the cans.
"When I first grabbed the cans of beer and ran down there, I was shaking them up and opening them up but it was just dispersing too quick," he said. "When I saw that nail, I would just puncture a hole and shake as I was going, and I could aim it and concentrate on the bad parts (of the fire)."
When a firetruck came through the neighborhood, Little said he breathed "a sigh of relief" and they helped with a fire that had ignited at his carport. The fire eventually rekindled, resulting in the carport burning to the ground. The house, however, was not damaged.
image: Chad Little