The Mojave phone booth was a lone telephone that stood 12 miles from the nearest paved road in California's Mojave National Preserve. The booth was originally constructed in 1948 to accommodate local volcanic cylinder miners. The phone, although updated throughout the years, remained functioning until its removal in 2000. There is now a lovely tombstone decorated in ceramic tiles to honor the spot where this lonely phone booth once stood. Its coordinates are 35.285827°N 115.68463°W.