danah boyd, radical social scientist par excellence, sez, "It gives me unquantifiable amounts of joy to announce that the Journal for Computer-Mediated Communication special theme issue on 'Social Network Sites' is now completely birthed. It was a long and intense labor, but all eight newborn articles are doing just fine and the new mommies are as proud as could be. So please, join us in our celebration by heading on over to the JCMC and snuggling up to an article or two. The more you love them, the more they'll prosper!"
- "Social Network Sites: Definition, History, and Scholarship" by danah boyd and Nicole Ellison
- "Signals in Social Supernets" by Judith Donath
- "Social Network Profiles as Taste Performances" by Hugo Liu
- "Whose Space? Differences Among Users and Non-Users of Social Network Sites" by Eszter Hargittai
- "Cying for Me, Cying for Us: Relational Dialectics in a Korean Social Network Site" by Kyung-Hee Kim and Haejin Yun
- "Public Discourse, Community Concerns, and Civic Engagement: Exploring Black Social Networking Traditions on BlackPlanet.com" by Dara Byrne
- "Mobile Social Networks and Social Practice: A Case Study of Dodgeball" by Lee Humphreys
- "Publicly Private and Privately Public: Social Networking on YouTube" by Patricia Lange
A decade ago, Steve Jobs admitted in an interview that Apple had the means to remotely kill core functionalities and apps on iOS devices. Apple purportedly made this possible to ensure that their hardware could not be taken over with malicious apps. I remember being very not OK with this, at the time. But over […]
At the big Apple Event in Cupertino today, the iPhone Xs and iPhone Xs Max were touted as ‘the best and biggest displays’ yet for iPhone.
At the big Apple Event today in Cupertino, a new iPhone was revealed. Here are official photos we received from Apple, for a closer look.
The human eye is a beautiful, incredible thing, but it’s far from perfect, especially when it comes to examining objects up close. Capable of magnifying objects up to 1,000 times, this portable microscope camera lets you see wonders hidden to your regular vision, and it’s on sale today for $38.99. Don’t let its compact size fool […]
There’s no shortage of apps available for your Mac, and, while it’s great to have options, this overabundance makes it difficult to find the apps worth installing on your computer. Thankfully, there’s the Pay What You Want: The Ultimate Mac Bundle ft. 2Do to simplify the process, which boasts 10 of the best Mac apps out […]
Sleek, minimalist, and convenient, Apple’s AirPods are a popular pick for those looking to upgrade to Bluetooth audio, but not everyone can afford the hefty $160 price tag. Whether you’re on a budget or just want something a little different, we’ve rounded up four pieces of audio gear that make for convenient Bluetooth listening, and […]