Bueno Aires's Librería El Ateneo Grand Splendid used to be a beautiful movie palace. Saved from the wrecker's ball, it is now one of the most majestic bookstores I've ever clapped eyes upon, a veritable temple to books.
Marilyn sez, "El Ateneo Grand Splendid in downtown Buenos Aires is a spectacular bookstore that retains all the glamour of its former life as a 1920s movie palace, with a original balconies, painted ceiling, ornate carvings and crimson stage curtains.
Photo by Bob Krist for National Geographic Traveler.
The Guardian named El Ateneo as one of the top ten bookshops in the world (along with Secret Headquarters):'Where else can you sit in a theater box and leisurely read a volume of Neruda, or sip a cortado where Carlos Gardel once performed?'"
- Church converted into magnificent bookstore
- Best Bookstore Ever: Powell's Technical
- Young adult sections in bookstore — a parallel universe of little …
- Infinite bookstore video
- Pages Books in Toronto to close
- Joe Hill — Stephen King's son — promotes indie bookstores …
- Photo of honor system at bookstore in Ojai, CA