Letter Monsters illustrations by Joey Ellis

9 Responses to “Letter Monsters illustrations by Joey Ellis”

Check out the collective noun cards http://lrcd.com/index.php?catID=17 The artist Sarah has fun with rack of Raven, Army of Ants, and so on. Mike

2. auilix says:

This is cute!! Reminds me of a thing my friend who does a webcomic did with a monsters/mythological alphabet which she sells on Etsy here:

I LOVE how she did Z for Zombie and K for Kraken!!

I’m an artist and my studio (bar the dangerous stuff obviously) is open to both my kiddos. They actually have their own shelves and supplies. Everything from paint to felt to good ol’ manila paper and glitter. I applaud all parents who actually take the time to hang out with their kids doing activities!!

4. TroofSeeker says:

That was a wonderful thing he did for his son- I’m sure it did the boy a lot more good than just learning the alphabet. Last night my son said he wants to practice drawing. I got us each paper and pencil and said let’s each draw something that starts with the letter A. Then B. We did the alphabet twice, once inanimate objects, then living things. It was great fun, and invaluable time spent bonding. Parents should enter their child’s world and play with them. Daily. OMHO

I’m impressed with the artistic effort, but I wonder whether they are actually helpful for someone learning to read.

Over the last few years I’ve made the effort to learn a couple of non-Latin scripts, and trying to train the visual system for pattern recognition with different fonts, styles, weights etc is non-trivial. (The scripts I was working with happened to have a lot of diacritics too, which is a minor issue in English, unless you need to refer to Anais Nin or Emily Bronte.)

I think that these amusing and playful *complications* of the basic letterforms will make it harder for a child to puzzle out the *essentials* of the letterforms.

6. Johnny Cat says:

Cool beans, Troofseeker. A+

7. TheCrawNotTheCraw says:

This is very appealing.

And his child will have these letters to appreciate/remember his father…”later on.”

8. Trace says:

Reminds me of the old Topps Monster Initial stickers of the early 70′s”

9. IamInnocent says:

Capital I is my favorite.

I love to watch children drawing while they tell m stories about what they draw. My own drawing is irremediably adult and I don’t want to submit the kids to such a bad influence at their tender age.

That’s a lot of “I”s in one comment…