3D-printed math and science sculptures

12 Responses to “3D-printed math and science sculptures”

1. Rich Keller says:

I got to see some of these up close and personal at Capricon last year. They reminded me of the woodcuts by Wentzel Jamnitzer, a 16th century polyhedral artist. It’s great that we can fabricate these things now.

You say: 3D-printed laser-cut metal

I think these would be 3D printed using a alloy dust – then fired in a kiln to vitrify.

Could be wrong but I don’t think laser cutting figures into this process.

-Tonky

3. Comedian says:

Looks like a 3-D projection of a fourth dimensional condom.

• mccrum says:

Comedian, trust me, since I’ve had to apologize to my grandmother nearly every day for most of my life: used after traveling the fourth dimension, it does certainly not act like one.

4. wizardgynoid says:

Bathsheba is not limited to the metal/plastic sculptures described above. She also makes available mathematical/geometric objects that are laser etched into the contents of crystal cubes and other shapes. One of the most wonderful is the rendering there of the 3D shadow of an 8 dimensional object — the E8 Polytope. You can see it here: http://www.bathsheba.com/crystal/e8/

Tonky has it right, they’re sintered metal powder. Hi everyone!
    -Bathsheba

6. Bahumat says:

I have two of these (in plastic, alas, couldn’t justify the cost of the metal ones) on my desk here at work. I love them very much; and they’re always an eye-catcher when folks come by the desk.

Bathsheba Grossman’s work is a delight to both have and hold; and one of the real delights is in inspecting these pieces from different angles in your hand, seeing the different facets and beautiful surprises waiting to be found.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with the artist, his work, or shapeways. I just really like math art, and these have long been favorites.

7. hijukal says:

My wife surprised me with one of the mini metal sculptures a few years back – http://www.bathsheba.com/gallery/vorocube/ – though I don’t think it’s sold any longer. I love it.

8. jere7my says:

We saw her work at a show in Jamaica Plain a couple of years ago. The full-size sculptures are fabulous. A friend got us one of the little infolded spheres for a wedding gift, and we quite adore it.

I have used this same metal printing process to fabricate a nuclear fusion research device:

10. MadMolecule says:

Oh my god, a Klein bottle opener! Brilliant!