TED2013: Takeaway roundup

27 Responses to “TED2013: Takeaway roundup”

1. Rick Turner says:

If only I could find Amanda Palmer’s music appealing…  She’s just not that great a musician…

• She’s just not that great a musician…

You don’t enjoy her style of music or you believe her unskilled?

Here’s her playing a cover of Creep on ukulele https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faDiGGOrC1g something that most people could learn to do in a week. Definitely not requiring Mozart-level prodigal abilities. But goddamn I’m loving hearing it in the background while typing this. I bet that was a hell of a show to be at even if her music isn’t one’s style. Her crowd interaction is a 1000x better than the usual “Chicago!!! Are you ready to rock!!!” banter that neophyte fans suck up from rock legends. Here’s her cover of “Exit Music” from the same show for reference to instrument playing capabilities (or lack? I guess it depends on who you use for comparison) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwFbADEujnc

Her work with Dresden Dolls feels flat to me and it’s just not my thing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC7DEv7Od38

But I wouldn’t say she’s a terrible musician because she sometimes plays songs I’m not inclined to enjoy. Maybe that’s because she sometimes makes songs that I do enjoy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMgfRThylhU

• ocker3 says:

After having watched the cover of Creep (thank you for linking to it, I’ve never seen it), I would lay huge amounts of money that the actual instrumental part of the performance wasn’t designed to be the centerpiece, the rest of it was. If I had been in that audience and had a choice between her staying on stage and playing the chords perfectly on a guitar and her picking up a ukelele and walking around the room, interacting with the audience, I would have instantly gone for the audience participation option.

As for the Dresden Dolls’ stuff being flat, I think that was part of their sound and an expression of her feelings. Coin Operated Boy is an example of a song talking about very unhappy relationships, a feeling mirrored by the musical style.

But as much as I’ve enjoyed the majority of her work, Amanda ‘Effing Palmer wasn’t the only person this post covers. The other three people featured have all done very interesting and perhaps quite transformational stuff, from an artiist encouraging other artists to embrace their physical flaws and let it influence their art rather than trying to hide it, to a kid who may have helped save his country huge amounts of money and help farmers and wild animals coexist, to a man with a revolutionary way of proving that children learn best when they are positively motivated to, rather than forced to. All of these people deserve our attention, discussion and focus, not just the pretty lady who sings songs sometimes in various stages of undress, as much as I love that as well :D

2. baneoftrustfundkids says:

Poser seeking the big sellout, no sale yet.  Hipster trust fund kids can safely still claim to like her as she is not yet mainstream, nor will she ever be.
    Just plain awful music.  The ratio between hipster posing and talent is just too great.

• Guysmiley says:

Because anything you like is “good” and anything you don’t like is “hipster poser awful”? I don’t recall voting for you as the ultimate judge of taste.

• KBert says:

I believe AFP is living exactly what she’s been seeking all along; an authentic life, folks with opinions like yours, be damned.
      She will never be mainstream simply because raw expression of emotional reality is shunned by so many. Scanning an audience before a show starts, the diversity is astonishing. They’re present to enjoy her abundant talent; she’s way more than an accomplished musician.
      I’ve found her work wonderful from the start, seen her performances 4-5 times over the last 6 years, experienced her love for her fans and witnessed the effect she and her work has had on my daughter over this period. My girl also claims that AFP saved her life.
      I’ll be turning 60 in 10 days and am as far from a hipster trust fund kid as you’ll meet.
      And you really don’t have a clue!

• Felton / Moderator says:

Axe-grinding is two doors down on the right.

• mindysan33 says:

Yawn.  Are we ever going to leave the “you’re a poser” bs behind us? Are we still in high school here?

I have an idea for you! You don’t like her stuff, don’t buy her stuff… simple as that. Why not go support the artists you like instead of spending your time tearing down those you don’t? Seems far more productive to me.
      [EDITED FOR MY DUMB GRAMMAR]

• AwesomeRobot says:

So I take it you disliked Amanda Palmer before it was cool?

You must be fun at parties.

• Melted Crayons says:

Calling someone a sellout or a hipster is really saying “I am the arbiter of taste and therefor superior”.  Which is what hipsters do.

• Halloween_Jack says:

Your credentials for challenging the authenticity of others is somewhat lacking.

• C W says:

Yes, baneoftrustfundkids, I’m sure you’re truly without privilege, like every other “unique” hot topic mallgoth.

Enjoy the projection of your own insecurities upon others.

3. Bender says:

To change the tired subject, I think we can agree that the other three people are pretty cool. Especially the kid. :)

4. PaulDavisTheFirst says:

I find myself wondering how many generations of lions it will take until they are no longer scared of lights. If you forced me to guess, I’d wager on 3.

• ocker3 says:

It is interesting that he seems to be saying that the lions are afraid of lights because they think they’re people moving. Considering this behaviour ‘may’ be learned because the lions have become scared of cars with headlights, I don’t think that behaviour is going to go away. So the lions being wary of lights behaviour is probably based on cars being dangerous, and that isn’t going to stop, so the fence thing should continue to work

• ruadh says:

That’s brilliant — the lions who are afraid of lights will miss out on opportunities to eat cows, but also get hit by cars less.  The ones who learn to walk right past the lights will get cows, but also get run over.  With no evolutionary advantage, the adaptation simply won’t happen.

5. euansmith says:

“After years of creating beautiful works of detailed pointillism…” I read that as “depleted pointonium”; I guess a neuron-leak from my reading of the previous story about radiation.

• Improbus Liber says:

Now I want a t-shirt that says, “contains depleted pointonium.”  with a pointillist radiation warning graphic.

6. euansmith says:

Holy fecking shite on a bike; that’s some cool stuff – saving lions with light bulbs and teaching English with computer games. Thanks for reaffirming my faith in our carbon based lifeforms.

7. Paul Renault says:

I have to say it: those eyebrows are creeping me out.

8. Rick Turner says:

The personality is interesting.  The music is not.

9. Edwin Cuna says:

She has a strong personal quality that attracts people and makes other people like them and be attracted to them. She is deeply glowing with passion and she exudes with coolness and truth.