Author and cultural critic Douglas Rushkoff is teaching an online course called "Technologies of Persuasion." A few years ago he wrote an excellent book on the subject called Coercion: Why We Listen to What "They" Say.
I'm teaching a course through a distanced learning site called Maybe Logic Academy - where Robert Anton Wilson used to teach everything from James Joyce to economics theory.
My course, Technologies of Persuasion, is beginning in just two weeks. I haven't promoted it anywhere - I just haven't had time or energy these days to do more than what's right on my plate - so this should be a small and intimate group. And it's a hell of a lot cheaper than paying for NYU.
Plus, we'll get to be a little crazier than people are generally allowed to get in a college seminar room, with some no-holds-barred discussions on how media and technology shape the way we think, and why we seem to remain so pitifully unaware of the biases of the media we use.
Previously on Boing Boing:
• Boing Boing interviews Doug Rushkoff about his Testament comic book
• Rushkoff's new book Get Back In The Box
• Douglas Rushkoff fiction in Nerve
• Rushkoff on Guruphiliac
• Interview with Douglas Rushkoff (MP3)
• Rushkoff's Testament issue #1, now free
• Barbara Rushkoff's new parenting blog
• Rushkoff's Thought Virus #4
• Douglas Rushkoff's Thought Virus #3
• Rushkoff on the futility of artificial workplace fun
• Doug Rushkoff's final Thought Virus from his new book
• Rushkoff's Thought Virus #5: The Ben & Jerry's Syndrome
Latest update blurs ads vs. search results line
• Hoan Ton-That, founder of facial recognition tech firm Clearview AI, previously connected to Trump world figures and online hate extremists, reports Buzzfeed News • Chuck Johnson, Mike Cernovich, and Rudy Giuliani are among the linked figures named in Buzzfeed report • NYPD disputes facial recognition firm Clearview AI’s claim that it identified a terrorism […]
Twitter, where Donald Trump posted 123 bonkers tweets today and Nazis and psyops bots roam free, is rolling out a pop-up feature that lets users add an emoji reaction to a Direct Message, kind of like a similar feature that exists in iOS iMessage. So fancy!
The life of an entrepreneur is rarely easy, regardless of whether you’re running Google or have yet to get your first idea off the ground. So why not make your life easier with a lifetime subscription to Zuitte 50+ Tools for Entrepreneurs while it’s over 90% off? With over 50 powerful tools that help everyday […]
When it comes to top-quality kitchen gadgets that won’t break the bank, nothing beats Gourmia. These eight best-selling Gourmia tools will help you take your culinary prowesses to the next level, and each one is available for an additional 15% off when you enter the coupon code COOKSAVE15 at checkout. 1. Gourmia GTF7350 6-in-1 Multi-Function […]
Traditional headphones are overrated, especially now that this HumBird Bone-Conducting Speaker allows you to enjoy a rich and completely unique listening experience depending on where you place it. A must-have item for true audiophiles looking to switch up their usual listening routine, this compact speaker uses cutting-edge bone conduction technology in order to deliver a […]