Tony sez, "Recently, a group of paleontologists were in town for the North American Paleontological Convention at the University of Cincinnati, and decided to take a field trip to the Creation Museum just across the river, in Kentucky. My aunt went to cover it for AFP, and I had the doubly good fortune of living just a stone's throw away, so I tagged along to see what these guys were up to. It was an eyeful, to say the least. Gorgeous facilities with amazingly engaging displays and animatronics, and at least a few hundred cubic cubits of bad science and misinformation. One young lady stood, furious, and grumbled, 'It's bullshit. Bullshit pretending to be science.' Anyone who finds themselves in the Cincinnati area with a few bucks, hours, and brain cells to burn should check it out, and see what the scientific community is up against in terms of informing the public."
Arnie Miller, a palentologist at the University of Cincinnati who was chairman of the convention, said he hoped the tour would introduce the scientists to "the lay of the land" and show them firsthand what's being put forth in a place that has elicited vehement criticism from the scientific community...
"And there was a feeling of unhappiness, too, about the extent to which mainstream scientists and evolutionists are demonized -- that if you don't accept the Answers in Genesis vision of the history of Earth and life, you're contributing to the ills of society and of the church."
Daryl Domning, professor of anatomy at Howard University, held his chin and shook his head at several points during the tour.
"This bothers me as a scientist and as a Christian, because it's just as much a distortion and misrepresentation of Christianity as it is of science," he said.
(Image: (AFP/File/Jeff Haynes)
- Creation Museum opens Monday - Boing Boing
- John Scalzi's snarky science fiction tour of the Creation Museum ...
- Profile of Creation Museum founder - Boing Boing
- Kentucky creationist museum online - Boing Boing
- Grand Canyon bookstore still selling Creationist myth - Boing Boing
- Canada's science minister is a creationist - Boing Boing
- Story on Cobb County Creationism Case - Boing Boing
- Photos from the Scopes "Monkey" trial -- public domain images from ...
- Univ. of CA sued over lack of creationism in colleges - Boing Boing
- Doonesbury skewers creationism/intelligent design - Boing Boing
- FSM roundup: SC schools next to teach creationism? - Boing Boing
- Mini-doc on creationist dinosaur park - Boing Boing