Lego geodesic dome

12 Responses to “Lego geodesic dome”

1. Maneki Nico says:

Reminds me of Springfield under glass, only less glassy and more geodesic…

2. romulusnr says:

Makes me think of Silent Running.

3. EnderQON says:

makes me hate WebSense even more – site blocked as a “malicious web site”

4. proto says:

Yup, definitely reminiscent of the forest domes on the spaceships in Silent Running.

5. proto says:

All it needs are little Lego Huey, Dewey and Louie drones.

6. Takuan says:

yep,almost expected Bruce Dern to emerge

7. Teresa Nielsen Hayden / Moderator says:

They’re cool, but they leak.

8. relaxedguy says:

My mom worked for Gerry O’Neil at the Space Studies Institute at Princeton University around 1980. I would visit at work and see the machine shop guys building the mass driver and all sorts of cool space tech. Maxi Anderson, the famous balloonist was there one day, and one of the main guys who created postscript used to hang out at our house and eat “special” brownies and sit up in a tree. No wonder I like BB.

9. Cpt. Tim says:

awesome. I was just (like 20 minutes ago) reading about the United States pavilion at Expo 67 and thinking. “Geodesic domes are awesome. I wish i could build one.”

10. Foolster41 says:

Cool. I think there’s a typo. In the article you say “demo” when I think you meant “dome”.

11. panbean says:

This is really cool. If you’re interested in building one of these for real check out http://www.domeguys.com

12. jonpalmer says:

Hello! Thanks to Paul and David for sharing this. Domes like the one at Expo 67 were a big inspiration for this. That super optimistic-futuristic style is amazing to me.

The original interior was supposed to look like this sort of super-deformed videogame landscape, like Zelda or a Peter Molyneux game.

And I do love Silent Running! Here are some great models from the movie by one of my favorite builders:

Drones and Bruce by Ken Takeuchi