More on the Montauk Monster

49 Responses to “More on the Montauk Monster”

1. MrGreen says:

Oh, come on! Why are we all shying away from the real truth. This… “thing”… is obviously a “thing that should not be”… a DEEP ONE, for those familiar with the Mythos. A beast that we all thought to have burst forth from the fictitiously fevered ramblings of H. P. Lovecraft. However, we now see that he truly was a visionary. That his writings were steeped more in reality than any of us would like to believe. Honestly, how far is the village of Innsmouth from Montauk?

What is next? Will R’lyeh rise from the waves of the Pacific as the stars and planets align just right? Will sleeping C’thulhu rise from his eternal slumber only to snuff out the flame of insignificant humanity? Just wait folks, the time is nigh for the coming of the Great Old Ones!

Okay, enough silly speculation. My best guess for the appearance of this beast is a viral marketing thing. So, I’m calling shenanigans on all of this.

2. Buffalo Joe says:

http://www.montauk-monster.com if that didn’t make the last post in a link… sorry.

3. cha0tic says:

Just DNA test the thing and let us know what it is. If it was arrested in the U.K. it would already have had it’s cheek swabbed and be on a database.

4. SoulDaYondah says:

I got it: its one of the creatures from Bowie’s Diamond Dogs album.

5. BadKittyM says:

I can’t believe a dead dog caused such an internet sensation.

6. serpent says:

This picture, like the other, is completely worthless without some reference on size. Come on, a boot, a toothbrush, a pencil, anything would do.

7. noen says:

Spoil sport. It was much more fun the other way.

I think I know where you can find your clues to find out what this monster really is. just take a look at column statues in persepolis palaces in Iran. just go to google images and search “persepolis statue” then you will see what i am saying. for example : http://k41.pbase.com/o4/51/670651/1/65302586.MbT11OkO.Statue.jpg

9. Takuan says:

remember the first time you encountered a dead animal (hopefully not a person) as a child? Alone?
    The fascination is primal.

10. RedShirt77 says:

What does it say about the internet that a bloated corpse has gone viral?

This was on CNN this morning.

Some lifeguard has the corpse in a linen bag.

Kind of looks like my X wife.

12. June says:

I love how Everyone dismisses this as a dog. Not to say that I’m one to get exciteed over this new interesting thing and pretend its an alien or non-earlthy creature, but it annoys me how people think they know the answer and claim it’s a dog. Period. It annoys me becuase glancing at the first picture (more of its back) you notice the front feet are fin-like, deffiantly NOT belonging to a dog, or a racoon. Also in this picture, glancing at the back feet, it looks too long to be a paw, which dogs & racoons have. Maybe all the features relate to a canine, but the feet do not. Clearly ruling that out.

13. IWood says:

B…Buster?

14. Buffalo Joe says:

Wow did you guys hear about the Montauk Movie being linked to a prop on the set from the movie Splinterheads???? It’s the latest post on Montauk-Monster.com

15. Sork says:

The paws which JUNE dismisses as fin-like are in fact exactly like raccoon, just swollen by water. Raccoons have long fingers, much like weasels and otters and are good at holding food objects, as opposed to dogs’ paws.

The hair on the body is all gone but that doesn’t say the animal must have been short haired like a pitbull just because it is easier to visualize from these photos.

16. American Scot says:

It looks like a Pug dog to me. Sloping cranium, bugged out eyes, pig like torso, and stubby legs. I have two of them, they probably would look similar in the same condition.

17. akatopi says:

I used to live along the Hudson River in NY, and within the large rocks that were piled up along the river coast, I would see large animals crawling around. One day, I saw a dead rat that was about the size of a dog along the beach-area. I assume these rats were living in those rocks, and that this dead animal is also a decayed rat (it is about the same size).

18. Robert says:

Yeah, from this angle it’s obviously a dog. Probably a pitbull.

I am sorry for everyone that thinks this is a monster but sadly it is not one. The truth is that this is no other than a wild pig also called a boar. If you study the body and the mouth of this animal you can see it is a boar. Boars can get up to over 1,000 pounds and as big as over 10 feet from head to tail. It looks like it died and someone or something had it in the water and is washed up on the shore. The first time I saw the photo I thought it was an unknown creature but after studying the photo and doing some research it turns out to be a huge boar and yes there are boars in New York every state has them that is in the 48 states out of 50. The other two states I am not sure about yet. If you google the word boar and look at the photos you will see how big they can get.

20. Takuan says:

“Everybody I showed her pictures to said it looks like a dead dog,” her friend Ryan O’Shea, of Brooklyn, said.

“But looking at the claws, and at the teeth in the front, it looked like it could be something else, something vicious.”

It was relatively small, roughly 21/2 to 3 feet long, he said.

Brown notes that the rumor that the thing is in someone’s backyard is false, apparently, as it has been moved.

Interestingly, Brown has collected some other interesting info from his readers:

Joann Dileardo saw it at the end of Roe Avenue in Patchogue, a few weeks ago. “I didn’t know what that thing was,” she said. “It looked like a pig.”

Another reader, Pat, e-mailed that the ladies in his office saw it on an East Quogue beach — back in April.

Elizabeth Barbeiri said her family saw it about a mile east of Gurney’s Inn in Montauk, July 14. And Ryan Kelso, via iPhone, said he spotted it — alive! — in the Montauk dunes. “It looked about the size of an average fox, gray in color, eyes like a mole, hairless and was breathing quite heavily,” he wrote, “needless to say we were freaked out by this discovery and fled the area quickly.”

Lavey Fater saw a surfer bring one to shore, near Ditch Plains.

“It was hairless and gross,” Fater reported. “… The surfer said he had no idea what it was, but that he threw it in the dunes because he didn’t want to be surfing next to it.”

Keith found something last week in Greenport; Chris found one a month ago at Jones Beach east of Field 6. (”The one I saw had a longer snout or beak or whatever you want to call it.”) Sean said he buried one, 3 feet deep, in South Jamesport.

21. fishguts56 says:

People this thing is 100% REAL.

I had a REAL LIFE encounter with the thing…

luckily i had my video camera to catch it all:

if you do not like to see disturbing images DO NOT WATCH THIS!!

22. robscot says:

I’m inclined to believe the local newspaper:

” “In photos there appeared to be a beak. It was just a tricky angle. It’s a dead raccoon. That’s what it is. It’s undoubtedly a raccoon, the same teeth, paws, the right size.”

Larry Penny, East Hampton’s director of natural resources, agreed and added that when raccoons get old they wander off to marshes to die. High tide might have floated one out of a marsh and into the sea.”

23. rosellastreett says:

It’s ManBearPig!!

24. Jean713 says:

I have looked at both pictures and I myself have determined that this ANIMAL is in fact a male dog that had broke his leash to probably chase something. Now I can’t tell you what breed he is but I have been around plenty of dead carcasess to tell you for a fact that he is definitally a dog that has been bloated from having those gasses trapped inside the body to which makes his paws look like webbed feet. I give my sincere regards to the owners of this beloved pet. I will appologize for all the retards out there for them.

25. brightblue47 says:

While the body does look a bit pit-shaped, no pit bull would have long hair like that.

After seeing this link in the Cyptomundo comments section, I myself am leaning heavily towards it being a raccoon. (Though if the estimate of three feet long is true, that’s one giant raccoon.)

26. Thydivine says:

Looks like a wild bor or pig to me. Nothing new looking in the structure of it’s body.

27. rollerskater says:

it continues to look like a Charlie White photograph.

28. rollerskater says:

it continues to look like a Charlie White photograph.

29. Ugly Canuck says:

Nice photo.
    The “Montauk Monster” sure has a ring to it.

30. craigrant says:

I have SOLVED the Montauk Monster mystery, I have found an archived photo that looks exactly like the Monster !!

31. RedShirt77 says:

1. Who had the balls to kick it over?

2. why did they erase their footprints?

32. MichaelRN says:

Rotting animal
    Washed up on the seashore; Yuck.
    Unicorn chaser?

33. BFSHM says:

puppy???

I think it could be a juvenile version of one of those dog-beast things in the first Ghostbusters movie.

Could it have something to do with this?:

36. donthecajun says:

Can’t anybody plainly see that it is baby “MAN BEAR PIG”. Someone should call Al Gore.

I am still going with wingless Griffin.
    (smile for the chimera*.)

*Look in your local dictionary if you don’t get that.

38. cyan says:

It’s a boy monster!

39. Brett Burton says:

Just looks like a decomposing pitbull to me.

40. rrsafety says:

Said it the other day… it’s a dog.

41. bobk says:

Please! No dead unicorns! Be nice!

42. Takuan says:

from the article a possibly ugly image emerges. Seen “live”, breathing heavily, later found in water or on beach. I fear some two-legged monster may have burned a dog.

43. Falcon_Seven says:

Growing up on Long Island gave me ample opportunity to explore the shoreline and tidal marsh areas of that area. Many interesting things -that you might not immediately recognize- would be washed up on shore, floating in a tidal estuary, or in the dunes, cliffs, and marshes that are found on the North and South shores, and the East end of the Island. The best time to explore was in the winter, usually right after a major storm, There was never a doubt in my mind that this was a raccoon.

Photoshop!!!! Seen all three pics before it’s a dead pig, decaying rat and a fat man!!!!

45. WadeFranklin says:

Obviously it’s a dog, with the flesh and front teeth missing from the upper jaw. It’s hard to believe that people can make such a big fuss over something so ordinary.

46. LeakedTV says:

That is one weird looking creature! Watch the Montauk Monster videos at

47. Buffalo Joe says:

Christina Pampalone has released new pictures to
    Weird stuff… check them out.