21 Responses to “Weirdy-beardy frontiersman who gave Lincoln a mule-skull fiddle and turned a bear into a chair”

1. franko says:

while that dude has some righteous facial hair, those chairs he made look ready for their appearance on the “texas chainsaw massacre” set. [/shudder!]

2. Takuan says:

bit o’ mixed bag, wot?

“Methodist bishop and writer Oscar Penn Fitzgerald met Kinman in California while he was on his way to deliver the chair, and he recorded his impressions in the sketch The Ethics of Grizzly Hunting.’[8] He presented Kinman as a drunkard who cruelly abused Indians and grizzly bears.
    His countenance was expressive of a mixture of brutality, cunning, and good humor. He was a thorough animal. Wild frontier life had not sublimated this old sinner in the way pictured by writers who romance about such things at a distance.
    —Oscar Penn Fitzgerald
    James R. Duff, a fellow ’49er, also described Kinman as “an avowed enemy of the red man, … (who) shot an Indian on sight.”[9]
    Kinman bought 80 acres of land one mile east of the future Table Bluff lighthouse in October 1858. This was the first purchase of land in the Humboldt Land District, which was established by an Act of Congress in March, 1858.[10]
    During a gale on the night of January 5–6, 1860, Kinman saved many passengers from the wreck of the ship the Northerner, in which 38 people perished. Kinman was hailed as a hero, and awarded a Bible and free life-time passage on the line.[11]

3. sammich says:

Personally, I very much regret that the term ‘sideboards’ derived from ‘side-beards’ has been so thoroughly supplanted by the American term ‘sideburns’, a pun on the name of Ambrose Burnside.
    just saying.

4. Takuan says:

“jowl-mold”?

5. sammich says:

mandible moss?

6. Takuan says:

muzzle cilia?

Kinman lived in the house next door to me here on Tablebluff. He was not a nice man. He did kill Indians on sight. The ironic thing is that there is now an Indian reservation across the street from his old house.

8. jaykinney says:

Based on lighting alone, I’d warrant that this is a latter-day neopagan with some awfully wrinkly Levi bell-bottoms.

9. Gorgonaut says:

To be commented on, in those times, for having a special hatred for “the red man”, implies an especially intense hatred for said people, remarkable even for a society that based its existence on the screwing over of the natives.
    This man, while outwardly awesome, is no longer my new hero.
    Crap.

10. stupidjerk says:

I would like to roll around with this man and run my finger through his lovely beard. Never has a rifle seemed more essential….

11. Takuan says:

if it makes you feel better, he could probably have been educated by living in South America or Africa or Asia on his own for a while. Ignorant bigotry dies in the light.

12. Gorgonaut says:

This man is my new hero.
    He sort of looks like Dumbledore!

13. Trent Hawkins says:

I think the chair is actually made of two or more bears, that or a bear with six legs. Either way, it’s something that Colbert should buy on e-bay.

14. Chocolatey Shatner says:

Maybe it’s just the way he is reclining on his bear-chair, but I’m going to guess that in addition to the donkey’s skull, Mr. Kinman would have liked to have given Mr. Lincoln another kind of bone…

15. TheRedMax says:

On that wikipedia link, there’s an image of “Lincoln examining Kinmans Rifle”

What is his rifle? Its a big old thing and I was wondering if anyone could tell me any more info about it!?

16. Gorgonaut says:

And check out that “Come here, you” look in his eyes!

17. Fungelstein says:

Why can’t more hunters do that with the animals they bag? I would love to sit in a chair made entirely out of bears.

The last time I was at a hunter’s house (I was babysitting), all they did with their deer antlers was scatter them over their big mantleplace.

18. hohum says:

Sam Beam?

19. Keith says:

Are you sure this isn’t some character made up by John Hodgman? Because if you told me he spent his free time wrestling hobos and conversing with mole men, I wouldn’t be surprised.

20. FourFiveFire says:

Oh, snap, the bear’s reaching THROUGH HIM!