Silver screen idols as manga characters photoshopping contest

14 Responses to “Silver screen idols as manga characters photoshopping contest”

1. Jeff9821 says:

Dear 2009,

Since this is the start of a new year, and an era of hope and change, can we please put an end to the widespread fascination with manga and anime?

Or at the very least, can we just stop acting like every badly drawn character with enormous saucer-eyes, and child-like body is artistically relevant?

As I say to all my weeaboo friends, I hate manga/anime because I LOVE animation. Some of them even get it.

Yours truly,

2. Art Carnage says:

Maybe the original intent was to replicate manga, but these are pure Margaret “Walter” Keane. Keane gained fame (of a sort) with her painting of sad, giant-eyed children. There were a staple of any home in the sixties.

3. NJ says:

For comparison’s sake, here’s good ol’
    Betty Boop:

And Betty’s creators apparently co-opted the idea from the lovely Helen Kane:

As Jimmy Durante said “Everyone wants to get into the act…”

Mashups, copyright, and culture, oh my!

Great art!
    I think the head is holding is Peter Lorie (sp)

5. Euryale says:

As if Bette Davis’s eyes weren’t scary enough.

It’s a pity there aren’t more male stars. I think a young Orson Welles would’ve been a good candidate, seeing as he already had such a babyish face. And Peter Lorre, of course.

6. thekinginyellow says:

wow, some of those are absolutely horrid like someone just got lazy and sloppy with the liquify tool. a few are well done like buster keaton (but mangafying him isn’t much of a stretch).

7. CommieNeko says:

None of these really make me think of manga or anime at all. They remind me more of a National Lampoon series of realistically rendered cartoon characters from the 70s (the Popeye and Little Orphan Annie renderings were nightmarish.) Having said that, they are still cool images.

@ JEFF9821

I’m a 50 year old comic and animation geek myself, and for every poor production or stylistic abuse you can show me from anime/manga I can match it with 2 western products that are as bad or worse. Sure there is plenty of junk; Sturgeons Law you know. But their animation comics culture is _much_ healthier than ours. The variety of styles and subjects covered in their literature is mind bending compared to ours.

A lot of it has to do with the fact that a _much_ larger percentage of the population, people from all walks of life, and all genders, are into manga over there. Over here it is all fan boys (like myself) and a smattering of independent creators.

And as for anime, if you can’t recognize the mastery and subtly of people like Hayao Miyazaki, Mamoru Oshii, or Satoshi Kon; or the better films/series from studios like Gainax, Studio 4°C, Madhouse, Kyoto Animation, or J.C. Staff, well, I don’t know what to say other than, boy, are you missing out on some good stuff.

8. Takuan says:

hookay, I won’t sleep tonight. (there’s so MANY of them)

9. StRevAlex says:

‘Eye’ can’t look away.

Heh, puns.

10. Sekino says:

Well put, CommieNeko.

And let’s not forget that the main reason why most manga that get translated and distributed in the US involve the big sparkly-eyed, kiddy stuff is because the mainstream belief is still that comics(and animation) are only for young teens or immature adults living in their parent’s basement.

Blame the North American market.

That said, regarding the pictures, most look more like aliens than cartoons to me. The ‘super-deformed kawaii’ style doesn’t translate that well in real life…

11. CommieNeko says:

@ Sekino

Nearly any attempt to depict something as graphical and abstract as comics/manga realistically is going to produce results that take you straight into the Grand Canyon of Uncanny Valleys. Which in my mind is one of the reasons that a lot of 3D CGI attempts at animation produce odd looking results.

12. yurei says:

After seeing the mangarific Louise Brooks, I’m good for the evening ^_^

• Antinous says:

I thought that Louise Brooks manga was coals to Newcastle. I didn’t see the Gishes when I looked, but they would be naturals for the treatment, too.