Time-lapse of botnet's spread around the world

13 Responses to “Time-lapse of botnet's spread around the world”

Its interesting, it seems to pulse on the hour.

2. Chris Tucker says:

Botnets, spammer’s botnets.
    What kind of boxes are on on botnets?

Compaq, HP, Dell and Sony, true!
    Gateway, packard Bell, maybe even Asus, too.

Are boxes, found on botnets.
    All running Windows. FOO!

3. Chris Tucker says:

@#10

Humor. Let me attempt to explain it to you.

4. drew3ooo says:

I’m more interested in the vast dark areas of the map. Botnet also shows how unequal wealth/technology distribution remains.

5. drew3ooo says:

6. Agent 86 says:

Botnet… the New Red Scare!

Also, another virus map

Bad informational graphics always leave you wondering what you just saw. Compare Florence Nightingale’s 1858 “coxcomb” graphs, or Minard’s 1869 graphic presentation of Napoleon’s march on Moscow, if you want to see how bad most modern graphics really are. Computers just make composition easier and faster, not better.

Chris, the most powerful botnets have multiple node types; the controller nodes are often linux and the sheep being herded are windows.

When you can’t figure out where or what the controllers are, or how they are publishing their commands, you can be pretty sure they are linux.

8. holtt says:

Bravo Chris :^)

9. Agent 86 says:

I could be wrong, but I think the red is the initial infection by the botnet, and the pulsing white is actual participation in / use by the botnet.

10. RedShirt77 says:

Why don’t they start with no red and then go until their is lots of red? It just looks like a lot of pulsating pink dots to me.

11. gATO says:

Drew3000: You’re right, but to be fair, some of those dark areas mostly unpopulated (which makes the botnet spread even more alarming).

12. nanuq says:

The Great Firewall of China doesn’t seem to be providing much protection. I guess this botnet isn’t subversive enough.

13. SamSam says:

I’m with #6, but maybe I don’t understand the map. Are there any new lights at the end that weren’t there on the first day, at 15:00? At seems that the entire spread happened in the first couple hours — the rest is just unexplained pulsing.