7 Responses to “The Photographer: gripping graphic memoir about doctors in Soviet Afghanistan, accompanied by brilliant photos”

Fascinating. There’s an allusion to a poem by Victor Hugo in the PDF (p. 12). Above a drawing of the author walking, the caption says (in French), “I walk with rage, my spirit heavy with lead, and I don’t take any photographs”.

Hugo wrote the poem in question after his daughter and her husband drowned in a canoe accident. It sounds at first like a love story. It’s addressed to the person without whom he can’t live. He will walk night and day, staring at the ground, not seeing the sunset or the sailboats, and when he arrives, he’ll place a bouquet of flowers on her tomb.

DNA

2. failix says:

This graphic novel is great! I can safely recommend it to anyone who loves alternative comics.

And I agree, Doctors without Borders doesn’t sound right compared to Médecins sans frontières. :P

3. failix says:

Wow, thanks for the info!

4. edgertor says:

supposedly Guibert stopped by the Maddow show last week but it hasn’t aired yet. Or maybe it’s not going to air or they’re waiting for the release of the book.

Yes, we were at the Rachel Maddow show for a taping session with Emmanuel Guibert and Juliette Fournot, who headed the mission to Afghanistan in THE PHOTOGRAPHER. It was an amazing interview. We’re keeping fingers crossed, but still haven’t got an air date from them.

Juliette Fournot met Ben Laden in the late 80′s. She later testified before the US congress that the US was pouring funds into this guy’s pocket and that something bad was brewing with him. She was basically patted on the head and told to “stick to medicine and leave politics to us.”

She founded MSF/USA and is an extraordinary woman.

–Mark Siegel, First Second Books

Another notable graphic novel on Afghanistan is Ted Rall’s “To Afghanistan and Back.” I’ll be sure to check this one out.

7. mattofdoom says:

Regarding the front cover of this book, it makes me sad every time I see ‘Médicine Sans Frontièrs’ translated into English as ‘Doctors without Boarders’ — A name that somehow manages to strangle all of the emotion out of the original.

Are there actually people out there who can’t work out what they do from the French name?

Sorry. Rant over. Book looks good too.